Nat D. Moore

Source: History of Northern Wisconsin: Containing an Account of Its Settlement, Growth, Development, and Resources, an Extensive Sketch of Its Counties, Cities, Towns and Villages, Their Improvements, Industries, Manufactories, Biographical Sketches, Portraits of Prominent Men and Early Settlers, Views of County Seats, Etc. Chicago: Western Historical Co., 1881. p. 73

NAT D. MOORE, miner, Ashland, was born in North of Ireland, Oct. 27, 1847. He came to New York and went into the Rose lead mines of St. Lawrence County, and from there, to Lanark Co., Canada, town of Perth, where he had charge of three mines, the Mississippi iron mine, the Victoria lead mine and the Oliver copper mine. He was captain till 1868, when he went to Marquette, Mich., and began the mercantile business at Negaunee. In 1872 he came to Ashland as captain of the La Pointe Iron Co. In November of that year he left and went to Ontomagon, but again returned to Ashland as superintendent of the La Pointe Iron Co. After this he explored various iron regions, and has located over 3,000 acres of iron land. He again went into active mining for the Cambrian Mining Co., where he remained until it went into the hands of the Cliff Mining Co. In 1880 he organized a company, called Union Mining and Exploring Co., of which Samuel Hibbard is president. Nat D. Moore, secretary, and James Brown, treasurer. They secured two options of William Brighton and started an exploration which resulted in nothing, and, in paying up, the company disagreed, wehn Capt. Hibbard and himself withdrew, making up what was called the Black River Mining Co., which organized under the laws of Michigan: A. W. Maitland, president; Nathaniel Hibbard, secretary and treasurer, and N. D. Moore, general superintendent. They went to exploring on Felch Mountain Range in Menomonee County, Mich., where they struck the Northwestern mine, the largest out-cropping of ore in the county. The option was one belonging to Pktzen Land & Iron Co., and they had privilege to keep it up to June 1, but they, failing to locate, Mr. Moore on the 22d of May secured the option and disposed of the last of the shares in June, 1881. The Black River Mining Co. has now in Range 45-6-7, Town 47, Michigan, a vein of clear ore forty feet wide. Mr. Moore has bought Green's Hall and a dwelling in Ashland, and will go into business. In 1877 he married Miss Ella Montague, of Negaunee. They have had two children—Elizabeth Jane, who died June 13, 1881, and Nathaniel D.

 

 

Last Update Monday, 30-Aug-2010 14:40:12 EDT


WIGenWeb State Coordinator:  Tina Vickery
WIGenWeb Assistante State Coordinator:  Marcia Ann Kuehl
Copyright 2010 by the WIGenWeb Team.  All rights reserved.  Copyright of submitted items belongs to those
responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.