Source: History of Northern Wisconsin: Containing an Account of Its Settlement, Growth, Development, and Resources, an Extensive Sketch of Its Counties, Cities, Towns and Villages, Their Improvements, Industries, Manufactories, Biographical Sketches, Portraits of Prominent Men and Early Settlers, Views of County Seats, Etc. Chicago: Western Historical Co., 1881. p. 73
JACOB SCOTT, retired, Ashland, was born in Little Falls, Herkimer Co., N.Y., June 18, 1804. In 1816 he moved to Genesee Co., town of Shelby, living on the farm there till 1823, when he went to work at carpentering in Black Rock. In 1843, marrying, he went to Put-In-Bay Islands and had the agency of wood and stone supplies there. He staid until 1846, when he took a farm on Scott's Point, named after him, and famous for the great amount of fish caught in its surrounding waters. He lived here until he exchanged for a farm adjoining Ft. Clinton, and then exchanged this one for saw and grist-mill, at the mouth of Portage River. These mills burned in 1855. He then worked for George Reynold, of Lockport, taking the superintendency of F. K. Barney's farm of 300 acres. In 1860 he went to Sandusky City and opened grocery, and later, bought what is now called Scott's American Hotel, kept by his son. He came to Ashland in 1876, and bought the Central House, also pine lands on Sec. 15, Town. 44, Range 2. In 1831 he was married to Miss Margaret Harr. They had three children—Voltaire; and Adelaide and Winfield, not living. Mr. Scott belongs to the Masons, having been a member for twenty-seven years.
Last Update Monday, 30-Aug-2010 14:40:27 EDT
|WIGenWeb State Coordinator:
WIGenWeb Assistante State Coordinator: Marcia Ann Kuehl
Copyright 2010 by the WIGenWeb Team. All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those
responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.