Angus Cameron,

The Man the Village of Cameron was Named For

Donated by Timm Severud

 

.

Angus Cameron (July 4, 1826 - March 30, 1897)

Angus Cameron was born in Caledonia (Livingston County), New York on July 4, 1826 (the 50th Anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence and the day both Thomas Jefferson and John Adams died). He attended public school in the Caledonia area and then attended the

Genesee Wesleyan Seminary at Lima, New York, after which he taught school and stared studying law in Buffalo, New York. In 1853 he graduated from the National Law School of Ballston Spa, New York and was admitted to the Bar and began his practice in Buffalo, New York. He also tried banking in 1856.  In 1857 he moved to La Crosse, Wisconsin, and resumed the practice of law. As a Republican he was a State Senator from 1863 to 1864; from 1866 to 1867 he was a member of the State Assembly. He served as the Speaker of the Assembly in 1867. He was select as a member of the University of Wisconsin Board of Regents in 1866 and served as a member until 1875. He was again elected to the State Senate in 1871 to 1872. He was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1875 and stayed in office until 1881. He did not seek reelection, but on March 10, 1881, he was selected to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Matthew H. Carpenter and served until 1885. He did not seek reelection. During both of these terms he was Chairman of the Committee of Claims. In 1885 he returned to La Crosse where he resumed his law practice. He died there on March 30, 1897. He was buried in Oak Grove Cemetery.

From the Notebook of Timm Severud


 
.

Last Update Friday, 01-Apr-2011 00:56:30 EDT

 WIGenWeb State Coordinator
WIGenWeb State Coordinator:  Tina Vickery
WIGenWeb Assistante State Coordinator:  Marcia Ann Kuehl
Copyright 2011 by the WIGenWeb Team.  All rights reserved.  Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship
or creation unless otherwise assigned