Donated by Vic Gulickson
Please Note: This page is information intense! Please be patient while some portions are loading -- it will be worth your wait! Thank you.
is an unincorporated village in the northeast part of Rice Lake Township.
The village was platted Feb. 8, 1904, on the northeast quarter of Section
12, Township 35 north, Range 11 west. The owner was N.
W. Bailey of
Rice Lake, and the surveyor Sidney G. Jones. The "Soo" railroad, which runs through the village, had been constructed several years previously, in 1901, about which time George Monahan built a store here, which he
conducted for five or six years. A depot was built by the railroad company, but for some time, the place was simply a supply and shipping point for the neighboring farmers.
Monahan sold his store to Mons Larson,
who was its proprietor for twelve years, and who is still living in the
village. Two other stores were also started, one by C.
A. Baggs of Cameron, and the other
by O. M. Strand,
but both failed within two or three years.
About 1892 Jake Rechenthaler started a blacksmith shop, which he conducted for about nine years, when he sold the plant and business to Oscar Henderson, who is still its proprietor.
In the spring of 1919 Mr. Larson sold his store to William Settlers, who now owns it. The village can also boast of a bank, sawmill and box factory, a lumber yard, grain elevator, five potato warehouses, a garage, restaurant, hotel and pool hall.
Bank of Campia was established in November, 1918, by
L. Russell, L. M. Randall, A. G. Clarke and
Larson, besides one or two others who held
their shares but a short time. A suitable building was purchased and
adapted by improvements to the needs of the institution. The bank opened for business with a capital of $10,000, and with M. L. Russell as president, L. M. Randall vice president and A. G. Clarke cashier. The additional directors were Fred Bumberger and Erland Engh. Subsequently M. C. Johnson succeeded Mr. Clarke as cashier. and on Aug. 1, 1919, L. M. Fairfield succeeded Mr. Johnson in the same office. The official board in November, 1921, was as follows: C. P. Stenerson, president; Mons Larson, vice president, and L. M. Fairfield, cashier. There was a surplus of $6,000 and deposits of $52,000.
One potato warehouse in Campia is owned and operated by the local unit of the American Equity Society. The others belong respectively to the D. R. Baggs Co. of St. Paul, Albert Miller & Co. of Chicago; P. A. Nicholson, of Rice Lake, and Leonard, Crossett & Riley, of Cincinnati, Ohio.
The grain elevator, which was established at the time the railroad was constructed, belongs to the Northern Supply Co., of Amery, Wis.
There was formerly a stock shipping association in the village, which was discontinued after an existence of two years, and the farmers now sell directly to the buyers.
Nels B. Nelson started the lumber yard five years ago.
The telephone service of Campia is controlled by the Barron County Telephone Co., and has been for a number of years. The streets are graded and there are some cement sidewalks. The water supply is obtained from open wells.
is no church in the village, but in 1876 a Lutheran Church was started
about a mile east, among the organizers and early members being K.
N. Tadness, 0. A. Dale, T. J. Oleson, 0. J. Oleson, K. J. Oleson, Mons
Larson and Ole Anderson. For four or five years meetings were held in the schoolhouse on the corner near the church, the first minister being the Rev. Mr. Grove, who remained two years. The second, the Rev. John Waage,
served the church about ten years, driving up from Sand Creek. His successor was Rev. Chris Fuss, and then came Rev. John Kvam, who was pastor for about eighteen years. His successors, in order, have been the Rev. John
Skagan, Rev. P. F. Kjorlaug, Rev. 0. M. Klevem, and Rev. Theodore Kleppe, the last mentioned being the present pastor.
Campia postoffice was established July 1, 1918, previous to which time
the village was on a mail route. The first postmaster was Gertrude
Aslin. Then Ed
Forest and J.
K. Denson had it for a short time. On July
Mrs. Delena Germaine became postmaster and is still serving, with William Germain as assistant.
village has a population of about 165 and is surrounded by a good farming
Last Update Friday, 01-Apr-2011 00:56:40 EDT
|WIGenWeb State Coordinator:
WIGenWeb Assistante State Coordinator: Marcia Ann Kuehl
Copyright 2011 by the WIGenWeb Team. All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship
or creation unless otherwise assigned