-- From the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2" page 322
Cedar Lake Township is equal
to two regulation townships (as of 1892 - at a later date the size was
reduced down to one regulation township [see Barron Co. Maps on the Communities
page]), and contains seventy-two square miles. It is bounded on the
north by Burnett and Washburn counties, on the south by the town of Sumner,
on the east by Chippewa county and on the west by the towns of Oak Grove
and Stanfold. In the northeastern quarter is Cedar lake, which extends
from north to south nearly six miles. Its greatest width is about
two miles. The Menomonie (Red Cedar) river runs from the lake in
a southwesterly direction, and is joined by one of its tributaries shortly
before it leaves the township. Several creeks empty themselves into
the lake from the east and northeast, while Pekegama creek and its branches
traverse the southern half of the township in almost every direction from
east to south and southwest. There is a district school and a post-office
at Ironwood on the Menomonie (Red Cedar), with a semi-weekly mail service.
It is nine miles northeast of Rice Lake, the nearest shipping point.
The population of the township in 1890 was 531.
Last Update Friday, 01-Apr-2011 00:56:41 EDT
|WIGenWeb State Coordinator:
WIGenWeb Assistante State Coordinator: Marcia Ann Kuehl
Copyright 2011 by the WIGenWeb Team. All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship
or creation unless otherwise assigned