-- From the "Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley Wisconsin, 1891-2" pages 324 - 325.
Clinton Township is nine miles
in length from north to south, and six miles in width from east to west,
containing fifty-four square miles. it is bounded on the north by
the town of Cumberland, on the south by the town of Prairie Farm, on the
east by the towns of Barron and Maple Grove, and on the west by the town
of Turtle Lake. In the center of the northern half of the township
is lake Poskin. Vermillion river runs into it from the north, and
out of it in a southeasterly direction. Hay creek flows through the
whole western half of the township, from north to south, in a most devious
fashion. Half way down it is joined by Lightning creek from the northwest.
A branch of Vermillion river rises in the southeastern section, and takes
a northerly course until it unites with the main stream. Poskin Lake,
on the Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie railway, was formerly
called Cosgrove, and it was surveyed and platted with that name in August,
1887. The Poskin Lake Lumber Company have a steam saw-mill there.
The post-office name is Poskin. Lightning City is also another station
on the same line of road, between Poskin Lake and Turtle Lake. The
township had a population, in 1890, of 479.
Last Update Friday, 01-Apr-2011 00:57:08 EDT
|WIGenWeb State Coordinator:
WIGenWeb Assistante State Coordinator: Marcia Ann Kuehl
Copyright 2011 by the WIGenWeb Team. All rights reserved. Copyright of submitted items belongs to those responsible for their authorship
or creation unless otherwise assigned