From History of Dane County, Wisconsin, publ. by Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1880, page 522

DAVID BRIGHAM died August 16, 1848, aged fifty-seven years. He was an elder brother of Ebenezer BRIGHAM of Blue Mounds, and removed to Madison in 1839. He was a graduate of Harvard University in 1810, was tutor in Bowdoin College, and subsequently read law. In 1818, became established in practice at Greenfield, Mass., where he married his wife. The latter - Mrs. Elizabeth FRANKLIN BRIGHAM - died at Madison at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. H. G. BLISS, November 3, 1879, in the eighty-seventh years of her age. Mr. BRIGHAM was a member and officer of the Congregational Church, and at his death was the senior member of the bar. The Dane County bar, at a meeting held the day after his death, passed suitable resolutions on his decease, testifying their respect and regard for their deceased associate, at which meeting Alexander L. COLLINS was Chairman, and L. F. KELLOGG, Secretary. Remarks were made by A. P. FIELD, Thomas W. SUTHERLAND, and Alexander BOTKIN. His son, J. Ripley BRIGHAM, resided at Madison until 1851, when he removed to Milwaukee.

THOMAS W. SUTHERLAND, an early settler died at Sacramento, Cal., February 2, 1859. He was the eldest son of Joel B. SUTHERLAND, of Philadelphia. In 1835, he first came to Indiana with H. L. ELLSWORTH, Commissioner of Patents, as a Clerk of a commission to settle some Indian matters. He then crossed the country to St. Louis, thence up the Missouri to Council Bluffs, from which place, with a pony, he traversed the then savage wilderness to the upper waters of the Mississippi, at or near the St. Anthony; from thence he procured a skiff, and floated down the river to the mouth of Rock River, and paddled his skiff up that stream to the mouth of the Catfish, up the Catfish, through the chain of lakes, to the point upon which the city of Madison now stands, then only inhabited by Indians. Here he spent some time in an Indian camp on the east side of Lake Monona, opposite the capitol, and this he then resolved upon as his future home. After a short visit to Philadelphia, he returned, and, as soon as the lands came into market, made considerable purchases in this neighborhood, and settled at Madison very soon after it was fixed upon as the capitol of the Territory, and was elected the first President of the incorporated village.

In 1841, he was appointed United States District Attorney for the Territory, which office he held four years. He was appointed to the same office, by Mr. POLK, in 1848. In the spring of 1849, he took the overland route to California, through the valley of the Gila, and landed at San Diego. He subsequently removed to San Francisco, where he practiced law wtih success, until he was appointed to the office of Collector of the Port of Sacramento by Mr. Buchanan.

Mr. SUTHERLAND died of congestion of the lungs, leaving a wife and one child.

In his private relations, he was a noble, generous-hearted man, highly esteemed by everyone.

Transcribed and contributed to this site by Carol



Last Update Monday, 01-Nov-2010 16:46:19 EDT

 Untitled 1

WIGenWeb State Coordinator:  Tina Vickery
WIGenWeb Assistante State Coordinator:  Marcia Ann Kuehl
Copyright 2010 by the WIGenWeb Team.  All rights reserved.  Copyright of submitted items belongs to those
responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.