WILLIAM FARRELL


From History of Dane County, Wisconsin, publ. by Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1880, page 985

WILLIAM FARRELL, member of the firm of FARRELL, MILSEP & Co., carriage manufacturers, was born in June 1837, in Ireland; came to the United States in 1853, with his father, and settled in Brooklyn, N.Y. He was left an orphan in 1854, and the following spring came to Dodge Co., Wis., and in 1856 settled in Madison, where he finished learning his trade of carriage-making, by the time he was of age. Was married in April 1860, to Miss Bridget KNOX, of Madison; she died in 1874. They had no children. In 1865 he started a carriage manufactory in Madison, in the same block where he is now located, corner of Butler and Main streets; owns one-half the entire block, and other real estate outside of the city. His residence is in the same block. Married his present wife in the fall of 1875; her maiden name was Mary HEPNER, a resident of Madison. Mr. FARRELL has been Alderman one term, City Treasurer one term, and Chief Engineer of the Fire Department two terms. He is officially connected with St. Raphael's Church. In April 1879, the business was reorganized, and the present firm of FARRELL, MILSEP & Co. became successors to William FARRELL & Co. Mr. MILSEP has charge of the iron department. This is the leading firm in Madison in their line.


Transcribed and contributed to this site by Carol

 

 

Last Update Monday, 01-Nov-2010 16:46:59 EDT

 Untitled 1

WIGenWeb State Coordinator:  Tina Vickery
WIGenWeb Assistante State Coordinator:  Marcia Ann Kuehl
Copyright 2010 by the WIGenWeb Team.  All rights reserved.  Copyright of submitted items belongs to those
responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.