D. FITCH


From History of Dane County, Wisconsin, publ. by Western Historical Company, Chicago, 1880, page 986

D. FITCH, undertaker, Main street, corner Fairchild; residence, 123 State street, corner Murry street; was born in Franklin, Delaware Co., N.Y., in 1826; son of William FITCH, a prominent physician of New York State; he learned the trade of cabinet-maker in Unadilla, Otsego Co., N.Y., and came to Madison in August 1846, and has been in business here to present date, 1880; exclusively undertaker since 1856; has had charge of the City Cemetery for nearly thirty years. He was married, Nov. 25, 1852, to Miss Arvilla F. CATLIN, who died in February 1856, leaving two children, one of whom, John C., survives and lives in Madison; for thirty-two years has had a farm of 120 acres in the town of Madison, which he manages himself and which is devoted to general farming. In 1857, he was married to his present wife, who was a sister of his first, named Rockey A.; both were daughters of Horatio CATLIN, who was a resident of Dane Co., from 1839 to his death in 1878; they have three children - Rosa K., William D. and Fred F., all in school at home; family affiliate with the Congregational Church. When Mr. FITCH came to Madison, his cash capital was $38.50, and what he has added has been acquired by hard work and closely attending to his own business; his first work in Madison was for Darwin CLARK, and his first job was making desks for the first Constitutional Convention in 1846; for thirty-four years he has been prominent in the business circles of Madison.


Transcribed and contributed to this site by Carol

 

 

Last Update Monday, 01-Nov-2010 16:47:05 EDT

 Untitled 1

WIGenWeb State Coordinator:  Tina Vickery
WIGenWeb Assistante State Coordinator:  Marcia Ann Kuehl
Copyright 2010 by the WIGenWeb Team.  All rights reserved.  Copyright of submitted items belongs to those
responsible for their authorship or creation unless otherwise assigned.