John F. Moorhouse

This biography appears on pages 556-559 in "Soldiers' and Citizens' Album of Biographical Record containing personal sketches of Army Men and Citizens Prominent in loyalty to the Union" Published in 1890

John F. Moorhouse, Racine, Wis., member of G. A. R. Post John L. Stewart, No. 134, at Oneida, New York, was born May 31, 1845 at Coldbrook, Herkimer Co., New York. His father, Charles A. Moorhouse, bas born Nov. 1, 1805, of German parentage and died Feb. 2, 1861, in the State of New York. The mother, Elizabeth Gray before marriage, was born June 20, 1812, in New York of American parentage and died July 30, 1875 in Ohio. Their children were born in the order named as follows: -- Catherine, Romania, Eugenia S., John F. and Martha J. The father was a blacksmith and followed that business until five years before his death when he bought a farm. John was the only son and remained with his parents until he succeeded in entering the army. He had all a boy's enthusiasm and tried at various times to enlist but was too young and when he did enroll he stretched one year until it counted two, to accomplish his purpose. Finally, he recorded as a defender of the flag Jan. 27, 1864 in Company D, 10th New York Cavalry at Morrisville, N. Y. He was mustered and joined the command at Warrentown, Va., where the regiment was in quarters preparing for the spring campaign, which opened in May, and Mr. Moorhouse was in the 2d Division under Gregg and attached to Sheridan's cavalry corps. He was first in action May 5th and four successive days fought in the Wilderness. May 8th he was in the fight at Todd's Tavern and pressed on to Richmond when Sheridan moved his forces May 9th to co-operate with the plans of Grant, who had taken position at Spottsylvania. He was in the movements in which the work of destruction was pushed, on the Virginia Central railroad, including the rolling stock, 1,500,000 rations and other property. On the route they released 40 Union prisoners on their way to Libby. He was in the actions at Beaver Dam Station, South Anna, Ashland and Yellow Tavern. Prior to this he was in a close action at White Grove Church near Port Royal, which was nearly a hand-to-hand encounter. He was in the fights on the North Anna River and on the 27th of May fought in the passage of the Pamunkey River. May 30th he was in the fight at Hanover C. H., and went, not long after to Washington, where he was seized with typhoid fever and after a long time in hospital obtained a furlough of 60 days, rejoining his regiment at City Point and went into winter quarters. Preparations were made for the activities of the spring campaign, which were opened by the reconnoissance at Hatcher's Run, in which the Union troops suffered heavily, Colonel Gregg being among the wounded. Mr. Moorhouse was in the subsequent movements prior to April 1st, when he was in the fight at Five Forks, after which the command was in position on the left of Petersburg until its surrender, the cavalry remaining there until after the surrender of Lee. He returned to City Point and sent next to Alexandria and to Cloyd's Mills, where the regiment was consolidated with the 24th New York Cavalry, the new organization being called the 1st Division of Cavalry. The authorities wished to send them West, but they demurred and the regiments went to Syracuse where Mr. Moorhouse was mustered out July 19, 1865. He returned to Coldbrook, and learned the blacksmith trade which he followed in his native county and therabouts until his removal to Racine, where he arrived in January, 1889. He has since worked for the Racine Wagon and Carriage Company.

He was married Jan. 28, 1868 to Elizabeth, daughter of Justus and Ann (Simpson) Kelley at Rome, New York. Her parents were of New York birth, where her father died June 30, 1870. Her mother is still living in Coldbrook, N. Y.