County is one of the extreme northeastern counties of the State, situated
south and west of Oconto and Marinette counties. In early days, it was a portion
of that great and unexhausted region of pine, which has proved the foundation of
wealth to half the capitalists of
Wisconsin. Much valuable timber land still remains along the banks of the Wolf
and Embarrass rivers, but a majority of the logs cut find their way to the large
mills at Oshkosh. There are a number of small mills still scattered through
County, however. The soil varies from a rich black loam to the barren sand
plains on the highlands of the Wolf. As a rule, when cleared of timber and
cultivated, the land is productive. It is estimated that about sixty per cent of
the county is still wooded—pine along the streams, hemlock, oak and hickory on
the uplands. The territory embraces thirty-six townships and two Indian
reservations—the Menomonee and Stockbridge. These tribes took possession of
their reservations before the organization of the county and a brief sketch of
their territories would not be out of place at this point.
Menomonee Reservation comprises
eight and one-half townships, situated in the northern and northeastern part of
the county. In 1848, the Government obtained the title to all lands held by the
Menomonees in the State of Wisconsin. In 1852, they were removed to their
reservation, which afterward extended into Shawano
County. Its principal village is Keshena, which contains a number of stores
and a saw and grist mill, the property of the Menomonees. The reservation
contains 231,680 acres of land, much of it good farming and timber property.
Considerable attention is paid to farming, and a commendable improvement in the
condition of the people is noted. The population is 1,450. The
River flows through the reservation from north to south, the
old military road following the eastern bank for most of the way. Keshena is
situated in the southern part, and many of its people, as well as those in other
portions of the reservation are earnest supporters of school and church.
The Stockbridge Reservation is situated to the south west of the
Menomonee Reserve, and includes but half a township—11,520 acres. The remainder
of the original two townships, was sold to the General Government, for $200,000,
and afterward became the town of Herman. The population, about 125, is
concentrated, principally in the settlement on the
Red River. The Stockbridges
and a few Munsees were removed from Calumet
County, in 1856. By referring to the history of that county, it will be seen
that the tribe were granted citizenship, in 1843, and also that quite a powerful
faction, called the Indian-party, were opposed to anything but tribal relations.
Many of these located West of the
Mississippi, in the Chippewa
country. Afterward they desired to return to Wisconsin, but had not changed
their minds in regard to citizenship.
The Government therefore
purchased two townships of the Menomonees, in 1856, and there located the
Stockbridges. The latter afterward sold to the Government, all but the half a
township they now occupy. At present the Stockbridges are divided into the same
two parties that agitated them in 1842-43, while they lived in Calumet
County—the citizen's party and the Indian party.
The first settlement in Shawano
County and the city of Shawano, dates from May, 1843, when Charles Wescott, a
sturdy young New Yorker, became one of a party which set out from Green Bay, to
build a sawmill, for Samuel Farnsworth. The mill was completed, this being the
first improved water power on the Wolf
River. The building was situated nearly upon the site of J. D. East's saw
and grist mill. Mr. Wescott remained as the first permanent settler, operating
the mill which was owned afterward by J. C. Lewis, for eight years. He located
upon his present property in 1848, when his wife joined him. In the Fall of
1843, F. B. Moore, of Fond du Lac, became a two-thirds partner with Mr. Farnsworth, in the mill property
and a general store was opened, so that when Mrs. Wescott and James and William
Grimmer arrived in 1848, the settlement had commenced to take on the aspect,
"promising.” Mr. Farnsworth had entered eighty acres of land, the first in the
county. Philetus Sawyer and other lumbermen of
Oshkosh were patronizing the
little mill. The steamer "Manchester" was puffing up and down with supplies, and
the firm of Farnsworth & Moore was happy. New settlers, therefore, they
looked upon as interlopers, and it was only by using his position as against
their authority, that Mr. Wescott managed to sell Mr. Grimmer enough lumber to
build his house. This spirit went so far, that the owners of the property in
1851, refuse to allow any logs to be rafted to the market below. This so
incensed a Red River lumberman, that he pitched one of the proprietors into the
mill pond, ordered his men to break away the dam and his raft went through.
Thereafter the monopolists were more accommodating. Prominent also in the annals
of these early business days, were Philetus Sawyer and George Andrews, who owned
at one time, nearly the entire site of the city of Shawano. Capt. William
Powell, who established a trading post on the east side of the river in 1844,
and operated it four or five years, and Strong & Co., at one time, owners of
much of the pine property in Shawano, Joseph Gauthier, A. L. Koon, R. W.
Lambert, and C. M. Upham, are names with which the early settlers are familiar.
But the past of history, gradually and surely grows into the present, therefore
the city of Shawano, as it is, comes up for dissection, and even while this task
is being performed, the future of a more thriving life is making history of
Shawano County was organized by
legislative act, February 16, 1853, and joined to Outagamie County for judicial
purposes, the county seat being located on the southeast corner of Section 6,
fraction of Section 7, east of Wolf River, in Township 26, Range 16 east. At the
first election, held in November, 1853, at the "Shawano Mills House," occupied
by Charles Wescott, forty-seven votes were cast, and Elias Murray, Charles D.
Wescott and Elisha Alexander chosen Supervisors (the county consisting but of
the town of Shawano); Julius A. Murray, Clerk of the Board; John Wiley, School
Superintendent; J. A. Murray, Register of Deeds, and E. F. Sawyer, County
Surveyor. In November, 1855, by popular vote (eighty-four votes), it was
resolved to locate the county seat at Shawano, after December 15. In January,
1856, the county was fairly organized for town purposes. The voters of the town
of Richmond were to meet at Hiram Wescott's; those of the town of Waukechon, at
James Semple's ; those of the town of Shawano, at the office of the County
Clerk, E. F. Sawyer. The election, held in November, 1856, after full town and
county organization had been effected, resulted as follows: A. B. Everts,
Sheriff; T. R. Hiuld, District Attorney; William Grimmer, Coroner; Ogden Brooks,
County Clerk; Julius A. Murray, Register of Deeds ; John Wiley, County
Treasurer; Daniel Olmstead, Surveyor; S. Ryan, Jr., Clerk of the Court.
County was fully organized for judicial purposes, January 1, 1861, and made a
part of the Tenth Circuit, S. R. Cotton, Judge. Its present fine courthouse was
erected in 1879-80, at a cost of $17,000. It is a two-story and basement
structure, built of red brick, and makes quite an imposing and, certainly, a
sightly appearance. The county officers, for 1881, are: Johm M. Schweers,
Sheriff; August Koeppen, Treasurer ; D. E. Wescott, Clerk ; Ed. Sommers,
Register of Deeds ; C. A. Rais-ler, Clerk of Court; K. M. Phillips, District
Attorney ; H. Klosterman, County Judge; William Sommers, County Superintendent
of Schools; J. H. Grimmer, Surveyor.
The encouraging prospects of
the city and county of
Shawano, in obtaining railroad communication through the Eastern Grand Trunk
and a Clintonville extension of the
Milwaukee, Lake Shore &
Western, have already been noted.
The county is drained in its
western portions by the Embarrass, Red and West Wolf rivers, and by the Shioc,
Oconto and Pensaukee, in the east. The Wolf
River runs north and south through its central portion, and is navigable to
Shawano. Streams flow in every direction, so that logs are easily floated to
their destination. The travel of the county, however, is over the numerous roads
that cut it from point to point. The bulk of the travel is over the roads from
Green Bay and Clintonville. The old
military road, which also passes from Shawano north toward
is also a great thoroughfare to and from the Menomonee Reservation.
Shawano, the county seat, is situated about two miles southwest
of Lake Shawano, on the Wolf River. It contains a
population of 900 people, who require only a railroad to be fashioned into most
thriving prosperity. The railroad survey of the Eastern Grand Trunk, the
proposed line between Chippewa Falls, Wausau and Oconto, is
already on its way hitherward, and it is probable that the
Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western will, erelong, make
an extension from Clintonville. The people of Shawano are
greatly in favor of this latter undertaking.
Shawano is the
center of supplies for a large district of Northeastern Wisconsin. Besides
supplying an extensive lumbering district, it meets the demands of the Menomonee
and Stockbridge reserves. The bulk of general trade is transacted by the solid
firm of Upham & Russell, whose business runs up into the hundreds of thousands.
With the building of railroads the limits of the city's trade will be extended.
The beauties of her situation will be brought more to the general attention of
travelers. Shawano Lake is already becoming known as a prime body of water for
regattas, and, if pushed into notice, there is no reason why Shawano should not
grow into quite a Summer resort. Although possessing one of the oldest
water-powers on the Wolf River, the lumber industries of the city have virtually
died out, with the clearing away of the surrounding forests.
In 1867, J. D. Kast
established his grist mill in connection with his planing mill. It has three run
of stone. He is also building a grain elevator. The old planing mill, owned by
E. F. Sawyer, is not at present in operation. M. Miller runs a small sawmill,
with a capacity of about 8,000 feet daily.
incorporated as a city March 12, 1874, and the provisions of the usual city
charter went into effect. It is divided into two wards. The fire department is
at present unorganized. The city school is under the management of L. D.
Roberts, and has an average attendance of 140. The building is a frame
structure, erected in 1870, its cost, with that of the property, being $3,000.
The press of the
city and of the county is represented by the Shawano Journal, which was
established in the month of January, 1859, by W. C. Tompkins, of Weyauwega. The
first editor was A. G. Rockwell, of Oshkosh. The name for the first six months
was The Venture, and when it was found to be a success its name was
changed to the Journal. During the twenty-two years of its existence the
paper has been in the possession of a large number of parties. Mr. Rockwell
retained his place as editor, and subsequently as publisher, until 1868, various
parties being associated with him. M. H. McCord then assumed control until 1874,
when H. M. Loomer took possession until 1879, when it came into the hands of its
present owners. As might be supposed, with its various changes of ownership, its
political preferences have changed. Started as a Whig paper, afterward
Republican, then Democratic, and now Independent, it has been the organ of
almost every phase of political sentiment.
There are quite a
number of churches and societies in Shawano. The Rev. Father Engelhart is the
priest in charge of the Catholic Church, having also a mission at Keshena, in
the Menomonee Indian reserve. The most flourishing Protestant church is the
Methodist Episcopal, of which the pastor is Rev. E. B. L. Elder. It has a
membership of about 70, and property valued at $3,000. The Lutherans worship in
a small chapel under the care of Rev. E. F. Ebert. The Presbyterians have no
church building, the Rev. J. H. R. Rogers being their pastor, while the
Episcopalians have no settled minister.
The Masons, Odd
Fellows and Good Templars have organizations, but the Temple of Honor is the
leading lodge, mustering a membership of over 100. In the Summer of 1881, the
Temple built a tasteful hall, which is a credit to the city.
It will thus be
seen that Shawano has all the advantages—natural and acquired—for the formation
of an important interior city. The only thing lacking—a railroad—is coming. With
that, a good farming country, much of which is in its immediate vicinity, will
be made more directly tributary to it.
H. H. ANDREWS,
general merchandise, Shawano, was born and reared in Washington Co., N. Y.
In 1866 he came to Keshena, and engaged in the mercantile business, in
connection with the Indian post-tradership, to which he was soon after
appointed, and controlled until 1879, when he opened the present business,
which he has successfully conducted since.
Mayor of Shawano. The subject of our sketch was born and reared in
Ashtabula Co., Ohio. In 1845 he went to Stephenson Co., Illinois, and,
after a few years, returned to
Ohio, only to come to
Wis., 1850, where he carried on the mercantile business till 1860, in the
meantime prosecuting the lumbering industry, which he finally adopted in
1860. In 1865 he came to Shawano (which was incorporated as a city March
19, 1874) and has been actively identified with its developing industries
ARTHUR M. JONES,
proprietor of Wescott House, Shawano, stands prominent as one of the
enterprising business men of Shawano. Mr. Jones has chosen the present
place for his trade, which, at the present, is very abundant in way of
traveling men, lumbermen, pleasure-seekers, land-seekers and tourists. It
is located in the most central part of the city, and has ample
accommodations for both man and beast, as a beautiful stabling is in
connection with the house. His motto is: reasonable terms, good
accommodations, and strict attention to business. The traveling public
will find it to their interest to give him a call.
JOHN DAVID KAST,
flour milling, Shawano, is a native of Baden, Germany. In 1853 he came to
Akron, Ohio, at the age of twenty-eight, where he carried on his trade of
millwright and miller for a few years, after which he came to Portage Co.,
and followed his trade for five years. He then built a mill of his own in
Waupaca County, in 1861, which he carried on till 1874, when it burned
down. In the meantime he built his present mill, which, after the burning
of his mill in Waupaca County, he has carried on exclusively since,
enlarging upon it so as to run a turning lathe, planers and siding mill.
In 1876 he was elected to the Legislative Assembly for this district, in
which he took an active part in the educational improvement of the State.
In 1853 he was married to Miss Margaret Beyer, in Schleswig Holstein,
Germany. They have a family of two sons and three daughters.
County Judge of
Shawano County, Shawano, was born and reared and educated in
In 1856 he came to this country, and after following his natural taste as
machinist for three years, he came to Shawano and engaged in the land
speculation, which he followed until 1868, when he was elected Register of
Deeds, which office he held till 1872, when his people elected him their
Judge, and have continued him in that honorable office since. In 1861 he
was married to Miss Fink Ernstein. She was born in Mecklenburg, Germany.
They have a family of one son, George H. Mr. Klosterman is an
able and efficient Judge, and an active citizen, devoted to the
development of his adopted State and county.
Treasurer of Shawano County, Shawano, was born and reared in Germany, and
came to Dodge Co., Wis., in 1853, and took up the vocation of farming, but
subsequently left it and traveled through the Southern States. In 1861, he
enlisted in Co. D, 4th Wis. C., and after an active service, during which
he was wounded, he was honorably discharged in 1862. After his services in
the war, he turned his attention again to the agricultural industry, and
came to Shawano, where he has been prominently identified since. In 1870,
he was elected Circuit Court Clerk of his county for 1871-2. In 1879, he
was elected County Treasurer and has been continued in office since. He
has held a membership on the County Board from 1870 to 1878. In 1862, he
was married to Miss Caroline Frailing, who was born in Germany and reared
in Wisconsin. They have a family of two sons, Charles Emil and Herman
August. Mr. Koeppen is one of the active, enterprising men of
attorney and counselor-at-law, Shawano, was born, reared and educated in
1849, he came to Wisconsin, and after stopping about two years in
Jefferson and Winnebago counties, he came to Shawano. In 1852, began as
pioneer here and built the first house in the present corporate limits of
Shawano, which still stands, the talisman of his early advent here. Mr.
Maurer busied himself with the organization of the county, and was one of
the first Peace Justices elected in the county, which office he held for
seventeen years. Was the first
County Judge of the county, elected in 1859, which he
held for eight years. In 1871. the June term, he was admitted to the Bar
of the State, since which time he has devoted his talents to the
profession, in the meantime conducting agricultural operations on his
homestead, where he now lives.
merchant, Shawano, is one of the enterprising business men of Shawano. Mr.
Naber came to this country from Oldenburg, Germany, in 1848, in company
with three others, with the view of prospecting it for settlement. In
1850, he returned to his country and reported favorably, whereupon, in
1851, quite a number of his country-people came and settled in the State.
He stayed in Dodge County until 1858, when he came to Shawano and« opened
a mercantile business, which he has successfully conducted since, in the
meantime taking an active part in the development of the place. He
represented his district in the State Assembly in 1864, '75 and '80; has
also been Mayor of the city twice. He is at present the vice-president of
the Great Northern Timber Belt Railroad, and managing director of the
Eastern Division, which was chartered, March, 1881.
K. M. PHILLIPS,
District Attorney for Shawano County, Shawano. Mr. Phillips was born in
Otsego Co., N. Y., but was reared and educated in Calumet Co., Wis, After
a thorough course of four years study in law, he was admitted to the Bar
of the State, and came here and opened a practice, which was soon followed
by his appointment to his present official position, 1873, to which the
people have attested their confidence in his ability by electing him the
incumbent for each consecutive term, save one, since.
CHARLES A. RAISLER,
Clerk of the Circuit Court of Shawano County, was born in
1848. In 1857, his people came to Waupaca County, where he was reared and
educated. In 1868, he came to Shawano and engaged in the cabinet making
business, which he carried on until 1874, when he engaged in the
mercantile business, which he carried on for three years. In 1874, he was
elected to his present official position, which he held for two
consecutive terms, until 1878, when he made a trip to the Pacific coast,
visiting the States of California and Oregon, and Washington Territory,
with the view of locating there, but concluded to return to his adopted
State, where the people attested to their confidence in him by electing
him, in 1880, for the terms 1881 and 1882.
J. M. ROBINSON,
farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 6, Chairman of the Board, town of Richmond,
came here from Essex Co., N. Y., 1855. In 1862. he responded to the call
of patriotism, and enlisted in Co. I, 32d Wis. V. I., and remained in the
service till the end of the war. Was honorably discharged, June 12, 1865.
After his services in the war, he turned his attention to the lumbering
industry here, and has successfully conducted it since. In 1870, he
started the first livery business of Shawano, and was active in the
political life of the place. Held the office of Sheriff for two years,
having previously acted as Deputy ; was the first City Marshal of Shawano,
and was extra active in that capacity. In 1870, he was married to Miss
Phoebe Gorham, who was born in Green Bay.
H. C. RUSSELL
- the junior member of the firm of Upham & Russell, is a native of
Vermont, and came to Wisconsin about 1850, where, after a course of study
in the high school of Racine, he began the practice of bookkeeping, which
he prosecuted for a few years, when he entered upon the Chicago Board of
Trade, where, after an active service upon the Board for two years, he
engaged in the present, 1870. Has been successfully connected with it
CAPT. JOHN M. SCHWURS
- Sheriff of Shawano
County, was born and reared in Germany. In 1856, at the age of nineteen he
came to Wisconsin and settled in
Dodge County. When his
country called her citizens to arms, he responded to the call and enlisted
in Co. E, 3d Wis. V. I., May 2, 1861, as second sergeant. After an active
service, he was honorably discharged as first lieutenant Co. A, 3d Wis. V.
I. He however, reenlisted as veteran in the same company, retaining his
rank, and remained in the service till the end of the war, retiring from
the service with the rank of captain of Co. H. After his war services, he
turned his attention to the tinsmithing business which he established here
in 1865, and which he still conducts. In 1872, he was elected
County Clerk of
Shawano County, and filled the office for three consecutive terms. In
1880, he was elected to the Shrievalty of the county for the terms
1881-82. In 1864, he was married to Miss Theressa Krueger who was born in
They have a family of two sons, John and Frank, and one daughter, Mary.
The captain is an active and enterprising citizen and a reputable soldier,
devoted to the development of his adopted state and county.
- County Superintendent of Schools, Shawano County, Shawano, was born in
Germany, but was reared and educated in the schools of Sheboygan Co , Wis.
Mr. Sommers was born a scholar, and although laboring under almost every
disadvantage to develop his talent, he has eventually succeeded in
establishing for himself his present reputation as an official and a
position of no minor importance as a teacher. He was elected County
Superintendent of this county in 1877, and the people have attested to
their confidence in his ability by electing him for each consecutive term
since. Mr. Sommers is one of the few men we meet who sees no
discouragement in the object of his pursuit.
Register of Deeds, Shawano County, Shawano. Mr. Sommers was born and
reared in Sheboygan Co.,
1853. In 1870 he came here and engaged in the lumbering and milling
business, which he followed a few years, after which he started a hotel
and conducted it up to last year, in the meantime filling the present
official position, to which he was elected in 1876, and to which the
people have attested to his ability by continuing him in the office since.
On May 29, 1874, he was married to Miss Anna Luecke, who was born in
They have a family of two little girls, Emma and Ida.
UPHAM & RUSSELL,
merchants, Shawano. Mr. Upham came here in 1858 with a small stock of
assorted merchandise and began the mercantile business which today forms
so important a part in the business interests here. After a series of
minor changes in the management, Mr. H. C. Russell joined it in 1870, and
the firm has since been known as above stated. Their trade in merchandise
averages $200,000 per annum, patronized by the demands of the rapidly
growing agricultural country surrounding, and the lumbermen of this
vicinity, whose extensive interests demand a respectable position among
their patrons. Mr. Upham is a native of Massachusetts, and came to this
State in 1851. After pursuing a course of schooling and experience as
clerk in the mercantile business in different parts of the State, he came
here and has stood by this enterprise with the energy of the pioneer and
HIRAM WESCOTT, Sr.,
farmer and stock-raiser. Sec. 30, town of Richmond. Mr. Wescott was
born and reared in St. Lawrence Co.,
N. York. In 1853, he came here from Allegany Co., N. Y.; for the first few
years engaged in the lumbering and milling interests of this place. In
1855, he built the Wescott House, in Shawano (the first hotel there), and
conducted it till 1871, when he moved on the farm, and has confined his
energy to it principally since. In 1843, he was married to Miss Sarah A.
Olmstead in Bradford Co.,
Penn.; she was born and reared in Delaware Co., N. J. They have
a family of four sons and two daughters, all grown to man's and woman's
estate. Mr. Wescott is one of the enterprising pioneer men of
CHARLES D. WESCOTT,
farmer and stock-raiser, and lumberman, Sec. 23, town of Richmond, was
born in St. Lawrence Co., N. Y. In 1843 he came to Menasha, and after a
stay of two years, he came here and engaged in the lumbering and milling
business, to which he devoted the first eight years of his life here ; he
then added the agricultural industry to his list, and developed that
industry here. He was the first Postmaster here, which he held up to 1860,
and was active in the organization of the county. On Jan. 6, 1848, he was
married to Miss Jane Drasbauch, who was born in Livingston Co., N. Y. They
have a family of three sons and two daughters, all grown to man's and
woman's estate. Mr. Wescott is the oldest pioneer man of the county,
enterprising and active in the development of the many industries of the
State and county.
DAYN E. WESCOTT,
County Clerk of Shawano Co., Shawano, was born in Oshkosh, Dec. 11, 1850,
and removed with his people here 1851; he received his education in the
public schools of his county; at the age of twenty-one, he was elected as
Register of Deeds for his county, and was continued in the incumbency for
two terms, at the same time taking an interest in the abstract of title,
insurance, and general land agency business, which he still conducts. In
1878, he was elected
County Clerk, and has been continued in the office for each term since.
In 1874, he was married to Miss Harriet E. Coon, in Friendship, N. Y. She
was born and reared there. They have a family of two little boys, Edward
Arthur and Bernard Dayn. Mr. Wescott is one of the active public men of
and Tigerton are quite thriving little settlements, of about 150 population. At
Whitcomb, just above Tigerton, are the extensive coal kilns of the Chicago
Rolling Mills, while at the settlement itself is the sawmill of Newbold &
Livingston, lately built, which has a capacity of 12,000,000 feet per season. A
grist mill is also run in connection with it. An establishment of business
importance to the village is the veneer factory of Grundy & Brigham. Above
Whitcomb is the station Wittenberg, which has a small sawmill, a Lutheran
Church, Orphan Asylum and Seminary. These three stations are on the
Lake Shore & Western line, which cuts through the southwestern part of the
county on its way to Wausau.
Bonduel are on the stage route between Green Bay and Shawano, in the town of
Hartland. At the former place, besides the general stores, is a sawmill,
operated by A. J. Fullerton, and a saw and grist mill by C. Schmall. There is a
sawmill near Bonduel, which place does a fair general trade. Several other mills
are scattered at different points throughout the city, among which may be
mentioned the sawmill, six miles southeast of Shawano, owned by A. K. Porter ;
the grist mill in the town of Grant, operated by C. H. Buettner, and the grist
mill at Pulcifer, in the town of Green Valley, run by the Oconto Company.
The town of Green
Valley was organized in 1873, W. G. Donaldson being the first Chairman. Pulcifer
postoffice was established about the same time.
In 1872, work was
commenced by the Northwestern Improvement Company on a dam across the Oconto
River on Government Lot, No. 3, in Section 6, for the purpose of moving and
sluicing logs and timber. The dam was built by A. Winguist, who had previously
homesteaded the land. It was his intention to build a sawmill, and one year
later, in company with Charles A. Noyes and O. A. Risum, the mill was built. It
was a wooden-wheel mill, and its capacity for making lumber very limited. Mr.
Winguist also built a bridge across the river near the dam.
O. A. Risum,
Rock County, built a store on the above described lot,
in the Spring of 1873, and has also kept the post-office there since. Starting
in with a very small capital, the outlook for doing business was rather dark, as
the roads (if such they could be called), were almost impassable, and the few
families that had come to settle were poor; but by hard work and perseverance,
Mr. Risum is now doing a prosperous business, increasing it with every year. As
yet there is no other store, but one is contemplated before long.
Messrs. Schwarz &
Bergner, of Fort Howard, bought out the water-power, and erected, in the Winter
of 1880, a gristmill, run by two of Leffel's newest improved water-wheels; they
also put in a cockle separator, middlings purifier, two run of stones, and a
pair of middlings stones. They started the mill in the Spring of 1881, and are
doing good work. This mill is a great benefit to the farmers of this and
surrounding country, who had often to go from fifteen to twenty-five miles to
grind their grain. They contemplate improving the old sawmill with a new turbine
wheel, circular saw and planer.
A hotel is being
built by Charles Poul, who is also building a blacksmith and wagon shop.
In 1880, a
surveying party, sent out by the Grand Trunk Railroad Company, ran a line across
Oconto River, about one and one-half miles north of
A mail is run twice a week from Oconto to Pulcifer, and return,
and once a week from Shawano and return. A new mail route is contemplated from
Black Creek to Pulcifer and return.