OF ANIWA-- From Shawano County Centurawno
The Village of Aniwa was platted November 26, 1880 by H. G. Reed, surveyor.
It was incorporated in 1899.
G. H. Goldrick was the first village president. The first trustees were
O. S. Sherwood, A. W Wincentsen, Ed. Bottrell, Adam Vogl, George Carley
and J. A. Howard.
Thomas Monahan was elected to be the first Supervisor. Ed. Wassman was
the first constable, H. E. Crosby the first village clerk, Louis Steckbauer
first village treasurer, H. C. Hansen, first Justice, and Fred Novotne,
the first village' Marshall.
Among the early teachers in the village school were Miss Ellen Arpin,
Miss Gustie Windau, and Miss Sybil Cornish.
Aniwa's first postmaster and merchant was J. N. Waite. He also operated
the first hotel in the village, which was known as "The Aniwa House." Early
business institutions were Sherry's Mill, Charles St. Peters' Hotel and
Tavern, Sherry's Store, Canfield Tebo's Blacksmith Shop and the Underwood
Veneer Mill which was destroyed by fire in 1890.
Information contributed by
J. H. James,