|VILLAGE OF ELAND -- From
Shawano County Centurawno 1853-1953:
The Village of Eland was always a busy railroad
center. The Milwaukee Lake Shore and Western built its line through Eland
in the late 70's. They also built two miles into Norse, to serve the Nye
Lumber Company located there. Later the line was extended from Norse to
Wausau, and on to Marshfield, and from Antigo north.
Eland, then known as Eland Junction, became
a sizeable terminal for freight and passenger trains. The Chicago &
Northwestern bought the M.L.S.&W. Ry. In 1893, at which time the lumber
and logging business was heavy.
Eland was originally situated in the Township
of Birnamwood. It was incorporated as a Village in February, 1908. Eli
Elefson was Chairman of the Town Board prior to incorporation.
In the middle 1880's, J. Hamlin Company erected
a saw mill. Later another sawmill was built known as the Eland Traffic
Company, with N.A. Rideout and W.K. Rideout as owners. They did an extensive
logging and lumber business.
The only store in Eland in the middle 1880's
was that of E.R. Franklin & Son. After that the Fuller store was established,
of which Homer Fuller was the owner.
The first school was built in the late 80's,
being a one-room arrangement. This was replaced by a brick structure in
1901. The first teacher was Miss Jennie Cook. E.R. Franklin, Sr., and Chas.
Grobbert served on the school board.
The Fuller House was the first hotel erected
in Eland. This was a popular place for the train men to stop during their
The first Congregational Church was organized
in Eland in 1898. Pastor J. Lloyd Smith, now retired and living in Dallas,
Texas, was the first pastor. Services were held in what was known as Franklin
Hall, above the Franklin store. A church was built in 1901 with 22 members
making up the congregation.
The Zion Lutheran Church of Eland was started
about 1898. Services were held at the home of Chas. Trebus. The pastor
was the Rev. Otto List, then of Wittenberg's St. Paul's church.
In 1900 five families made up the congregation.
They were: Chas. Trebus, Chas. Warning, Gottlieb Kuntz, Carl Panko, and
The land on which a new church was built was
donated by Ralph Werner. Most of the work was donated by members and their
families. The church was completed in 1901. It is now served by Pastor
Cattau of St. Paul's church, Birnamwood.
All Saint's Congregation was organized in the
spring of 1912 as a mission at Antigo. The first services were held in
the Kutchin Building, later known as the Franklin Building, the present
location of the Eland post office. The Rev. Fr. Kolfeol was the pastor.
In the fall of 1912, Mr. Michael Hulehan donated
land for a church which was to be called St. Williams. The church was completed
in 1913 and was from that time on known as St. William's church. The church
became a mission of Tigerton. Stained glass windows were placed in 1930
at a cost of about $1,800.00. This church is the present mission of St.
Philomene's of Birnamwood.
A Modern Woodman Lodge was organized in Eland
in the early 90's. Ed. S. Hagen was the first clerk of the lodge. Meetings
were held above the Rideout Mill store.
Eland also had a Good Templars organization.
Its meeting place was above the Franklin store. Lillie Hagen was secretary.
This proved to be a very worthy organization.
The old settlers of the 80's were John Schanen,
Charles Grobbert, E.R. Franklin, Sr., W.H. Fuller, W.C. Pickering, W.D.
House, W.J. Hagen, Chas. Trebus, G.W. Van Echtern, and Charles Huckhasen.
Mr. Huckhasen was station agent for the M.L.S.&W. Ry.
In the early 90's came Jas. Hamlin, sawmill
owner; Ralph Werner, an active town board member; and J.F. Franklin, who
was active in civic affairs and later became postmaster.
Information contributed by:
C.J. Westphal, Supervisor for Village of Eland