HERMAN-- From Shawano County Centurawno
Soon after the opening of the Military Road between Oshkosh and Northern
Wisconsin in1854, the following families settled in the area
described as Township 27 North, Range 14 East: Biebritz, Brei, Kroll, Vierbicher,
Waegli, Raasch, Kreutzer, Eberlein.
The Town of Herman was organized by an act of the Board of Supervisors
of Shawano County on February 25, 1871. According to legend, the town was
named after a fraternal organization called "The Sons of Herman," of which
the man in charge of the Land Office was a memberó since no other name
could be agreed upon.
The first town meeting was held in the dwelling house of Charles Kroll
on the 4th day of April, 1871, when the following town officers were elected:
Chairman, Charles Schmidt; Supervisors: Ferdinand Flister and Stephan Fobian;
Clerk, Frederic Waegli; Treasurer, John Vierbicher; Assessor, Anton Stroinsky;
Justic of the Peace: Charles Schmidt; Constable: Frederic Eberlein and
Due to the dense woods and wide swamps, it was not until March 18, 1879
that the first resident deed was given to property in the township, deeding
the SE% of Section 3 to Joseph Hoffman by William and Anna Schmidt.
Information furnished by:
John Cerveny, Clerk,
Town of Herman.