PELLA -- From Shawano County Centurawno
The early inhabitants of the Town of Pella met on July 23 1860, to set
off a parcel of land for the creation of a township to be known as Pella.
The first town election was held in the home of Carl Klebesadel and
twelve votes were cast for a slate of fourteen official positions to be
filled. Officers of the newly formed township were elected as follows:
Chairman, Christion Lade; supervisors, William Moldenhauer and William
Hehrnan; clerk Carl Klebesadel; treasurer, Ferdinand Butler; Supt. of Schools,
Hamilton Cornell; Justices of the Peace, Carl Klebesadel; William Hehman,
William Papendorf; constable, Friedrich Kranz and John Hehman; assessors,
Friedrich Schultz and Herman Schwartz; sealer of weights and measures,
The Fairview school was the first school to be opened in the Town of
Pella. This took place early in 1850.
The Bethlehem Lutheran church, built in 1858, was the first church of
serve the community. Ten families made up the first congregation, this
congregation first being served by the Reverend Beyer. On December
25, 1857, this congregation conducted its first service in the home of
William Moldenhauer, and the first sermon was preached by a layman, Carl
Klebesadel. Mr. Klebesadel not only "helped out" as a preacher, but also
served as the town's first school teacher.
The early settlers of the Township were: Christian Lade, William Moldenhauer,
Herman Schwartz, Friedrich Schultz, Friedrich Braun, William Papendorf,
Carl Wolf, Ehricke, Moericke, William and John Hehman, Peter Hoppe, Ferdinand
Mussak, Ferdinand Buetler, Frederick Eberts, Julius Schilling, William
Westphal, G. Klitz, John Grimm, A.. Shoepke, A. Basin, H. Schwertfeger,
Friedrich Kranz, Carl Klebesadel, Ernest Pocket,, Friedrich Wichman. John
and Gottlieb Mansee, John Genskow, August Rosin, William Reinke, Danial
Zimdars, William Rosenow and August Koeppen.
Within the boundaries of the Town of Pella, almost centrally located,
is the unincorporated village of Pella. This picturesque little village,
on the banks of the Embarrass river, was once known as Smithville. This
was due to the fact that William Smith owned a large sawmill there, which
gave employment to most of the people living in and around what is now
Pella. Smith also owned much of the land surrounding the village. Smithville
served as a distributing center for many of the surrounding towns. Later,
the community became known as Pella, taking its name from the township.
A major catastrophe nearly occurred in the summer of 1912. Due to many
weeks of rain the Embarrass river overflowed and covered most of the village
with water. Extensive damage was done to the sawmill which was located
on the banks of the river.
Information furnished by:
Alfred Konkel, Clerk,
Town of Pella