"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Adams, William H. one of the four Adams brothers of Eagle River, Vilas County, who are operating a flourishing general store, and three of whom--William H., Charles H., and Ernest T.--are interested in a fine farm in the town of Eagle River, was born in Somerville, N. J., Aug. 23, 1860, son of Josephus and Katherine (SKILLMAN) ADAMS. The parents were natives of that state, where they were married. In 1865 they came west to La Crosse, Wis., where the father, a stationary engineer, worked nine months for the Smith & Merrill Thrashing Machine & Foundry Co. He then moved with his family to a farm three miles north of Onalaska, in Sand Lake Cooley, where he resided until his death in 1882. Then William H. took charge of the family and farm, being the oldest son, and they remained there until 1885, in which years they all returned to Onalaska. There the subject of this sketch worked at common labor until 1892 in which year he came to Eagle River with his mother, finding work at farm labor. In 1894 he took a homestead of 156 acres located in the town of Eagle River (now the town of Lincoln), on which he has since resided, his mother living with him until she passed away on Jan. 29, 1921. In 1916 he turned over an undivided two-thirds interest in the place to his brothers, Charles and Ernest. It is known as the Adams Bros.' Farm and is a well developed piece of agricultural property, 100 acres of the land being under cultivation. The buildings include a seven-room house, 16x24 feet; a cattle barn, 36x40 feet, with a concrete silo, feed room and stanchions; a horse barn, 18x40 feet, with concrete floor; a granary, 16x52 feet; a potato warehouse of stone construction, 20x30 feet, and a tool shed. The Adams Bros. are raisers of certified seed potatoes, having an average yield of 200 bushels per acre, while their cattle stock are pure-bred Guernseys. During the construction of the Otter Rapids Dam William H. ADAMS was a member of the town board of Eagle River. He also served two years on the school board when it was known as the executive board of school direction, having 17 schools to care for, and in both positions showed an intelligent comprehension of public affairs and the ability to handle them.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 431-432;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others;
H.C. Cooper Jr. & Co, 1924
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator