"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Ahlert, August F. a prominent farmer of the town of Schley, where he has resided for some 30 years, and of which he is one of the leading citizens, was born in Pommern, Germany, Oct. 27, 1868, son of Carl and Henrietta (GERKE) AHLERT. The father in his native land was engaged in farm labor and railroad work. He came to America with his family in 1870, landing at New York and going directly to Manistee, Mich., where he and they resided for 16 years, during which period he was engaged in saw mill work. In 1886 he came to Lincoln County, Wisconsin, and bought 80 acres of timber land in Section 24, town of Schley, which he proceeded to develop into a farm. Having erected a set of log buildings, he began to log off his timber, of which he sold some 20,000 feet, besides cutting cord wood, which he hauled to Merrill with an ox team. During the summer months he would make hay for settlers who had come before him, doing that work for the first two summers. Eventually he worked into the dairy business, having cleared up his farm, and he continued to reside there until his death, on May 7, 1902. Nearly a year later, on April 24, 1903, his wife also passed away. They were typical pioneers of the Northwest, hard-working, accustomed to endure privation, but hopeful and enterprising, and in the end successful. August F. AHLERT was the only child of his parents and was a babe of two years when he accompanied them to America. Later he attended school in Manistee, Mich., and at Addison, Ill., and studied to fit himself for the profession of a Lutheran teacher. At the age of 18 he went to Milwaukee, where he obtained a situation in the office of the Meyers Shoe Manufacturing Co., but after two months he was taken sick with typhoid fever. After his recovery he came to Merrill, in which place he arrived with but seven cents in his pocket. As that was not enough to pay for a meal in a restaurant, he entered a saloon and had some free lunch with a glass of beer, after which he walked to his parents' home in the town of Schley. There he remained for about eight years, or until a year after his marriage, assisting his father to build up the home place. In the meanwhile he was making plans for his own future, in pursuance of which in 1890 he purchased 80 acres just north of his parents' farm. On this he settled in 1893, the year in which he was married, and began its development, at first erecting a set of log buildings. He has cleared a larger portion of his land and now has 45 acres under cultivation. He has also a set of fine buildings, which were built with lumber lawed from the timber taht he cut on his land. Mr. AHLERT follows mixed farming and dairying, keeping Holstein and Guernsey cattle, with a pure bred Guernsey sire. He is also president of the company which operates the Lincoln Co-operative Cheese Factory, in which he has been a stockholder since its organization; secretary of the town of Schley Federal Loan Association and a stockholder in the American State Bank of Merrill. Since early manhood he has taken a more or less prominent part in town affairs, having served 13 years off and on as town clerk, and at times as treasurer of School District No. 3. Mr. ALHERT was married April 3, 1893, at his parents' home, to Albertina TRENDE, daughter of Frederick and Augusta (LANGE) TRENDE. Her parents, natives of Germany, came to this country in 1892, settling on land in Section 19, town of Schley, this county, where they still reside, though the farm is now owned and operated by a son-in-law, Mr. LAAB. To Mr. and Mrs. AHLERT four children have been born: Rose, now Mrs. Arthur PLAMAN; Martha, wife of Ernest HULKE; Hattie, wife of Frank PLAMAN; and Carl on the home farm, all residing in the town of Schley. Mr. and Mrs. AHLERT have given all their children a good education and helped them to get a good start in life and establish their homes. They and the children are members of the Trinity Lutheran Church in the town of Schley, of which Mr. AHLERT was one of the builders, and is now a director.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 772-773,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator