"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Anderson, William manager of the L. Starks farms, also of the L. Starks potato warehouse at Three Lakes, was born at Mears, Mich., Nov. 24, 1877, son of Peter and Anna (HEGG) ANDERSON. The parents, who were natives of Sweden, were married in that country and came to America in 1871. They are still residing on their farm near Mears, Mich. Their children were: Charles, now deceased; Mary, deceased; Fern, wife of Caleb DAVIS of Mears, Mich.; William, of Three Lakes, Wis.; Edith, wife of Samuel DUNCAN of Mears, Mich.; and Reno, who is married and lived in Grand Rapids, Mich. William ANDERSON in his boyhood attended school at Mears, Mich., and lived with his parents until he was 13 years of age. Then coming to Wisconsin, he worked four months in O. W. AVERY'S shingle mill at Eagle River, and from there went to Washburn, Washburn County[sic Bayfield County], entering the employ of the Bigelow & Walker Lumber Co., for whom he worked in the woods as lumberjack until the spring of 1894. Then coming to Three Lakes, he helped to erect the present grade schoolhouse, after which for two years he worked on the section for the Chicago & Northwestern Railway. In the spring of 1897 he went to Hart, Mich., to become manager of the G. A. HAWLEY fruit farm, in which position he remained for five years, returning to Three Lakes, Wis., in 1902. For the next few years he was employed in ordinary labor, after which he became a guide on the Chain of Lakes for the Indianapolis Outing Club and so remained for five years. He also organized the Peter Fox Sons Co. warehouse in Three Lakes. In the summer of 1908 he became manager of the Indianapolis Outing Club resort, located on Planting Ground Lake, a position which he held until 1919. He then became manager of the L. Starks potato farm, located one mile south of Three Lakes, being also placed in charge of their warehouse in the village. Mr. ANDERSON has always been a "booster" for Three Lakes and Oneida County and has also rendered efficient service in public office, having been a member of the board of supervisors of Three Lakes Township from 1914 to 1918 inclusive, during the last two years of which he was chairman and consequently a member also of the county board. He is fraternally affliated with the Modern Woodman, Royal Neighbors and Beavers. On Nov. 26, 1898, Mr. ANDERSON was married in Three Lakes to Hulda GRUENEBERG, daughter of Fred and Caroline (PRECKEL) GRUENEBERG; her parents, early settlers in Wausau, Wis., are now deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. ANDERSON six chldren have been born: Ethel, now Mrs. Clarence ANDERSON, of Hiles, Wis.; Lillian, a teacher at Sugar Camp; Margaret, wife of Leonard GRIFFITH of Three Lakes; Myrtle and Martha (twins), who are graduates of the Oneida County Teachers' Training School at Rhinelander, and are now teaching in the town of Three Lakes, Oneida County; and William, a pupil in the Three Lakes High School. Mr. ANDERSON and his family attend the Congregational Church.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 283-284 (with picture),
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co.
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator