"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Beyer, Frank, a well known representative of Lincoln County's argicultural class, residing in Sec. 21, town of Schley, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., Oct. 10, 1864, son of Fred and Minnie BEYER. The parents were natives of Germany, where the father was a farm worker and continued as such until 1862, when he came with his family to the United States, settling in Buffalo, where he worked on the docks and in a brewery, and also for six years at farming. From there he moved to Racine, where he resided four years, being employed in the round house. He later came to Lincoln County and homesteaded 160 acres in what is now the town of Schley. The tract was covered with hardwood and hemlock timber, for which at that time there was no market demand, so as Mr. BEYER cut down the trees to clear his land he burned the logs to get rid of them, though today they would fetch a high price. As soon as he had cleared a small place he built a log house, in which he and his family took up their residence, and which is still standing. At that time there were no roads and for years they had to lead a pioneer life in the wilderness and with no outside attractions to break the monotony of hard work. Having done their part, they both passed away and the farm was subsequently sold. There were ten children in the family, eight of whom are now living, namely: Mrs. Andrew SUNDEN of Merrill; Frank, subject of this sketch; William, now in the state of Washington; Charles, of Antigo, Wis.; Mrs. Phil ATKINS of Antigo; Mrs. John GEISS of the town of Pine River, Lincoln County, Wis.; Christ of the town of Schley; and John of Kempster, Langland County, Wis. Those deceased are Minnie and Reka. Frank BEYER was reared in Buffalo, where he attended school. He subsequently came with the family to Wisconsin, stopping first at Racine, from which place they went to Dorr County, Wis. where they lived there 10 years before settling in Lincoln. Frank came to Lincoln County in 1885 (not with the family) and at once became connected with the lumber industry, logging during the winters, helping on the river drives in spring, and working in the saw mills in summer. He was thus engaged until 1895, in which year he became a farmer, buying 120 acres in the town of Schley, which was a tract of hardwood timber land and which he began to clear. In 1904 he bought 80 acres of partly cut-over land in Sec. 28. He has since cleared his land and now has 27 acres under the plow, with the balance in pasture. He built a frame barn 46 x 76 feet in size and a small frame house. In 1911 Mr. BEYER bought 80 acres in Sec. 21, town of Schley, the place being known as the William BESSEY farm. It was partly improved and Mr. BEYER has since sold the 120 acre farm and devotes his time to his 160 acre farm. He has built a frame house of eight rooms and a barn 38 x 60 feet. He is doing general farming and dairying, keeping 31 head of pure bred and grade Guernseys, with a pure bred bull. He uses four horses and his farm is well supplied with modern machinery. At various times he has rendered efficient service to public office, having been town supervisor and town chairman several times, a member of the school board, and deputy sheriff under Herman NEUMAN. Mr. BEYER was married at Wausau, Wis., in 1894 to Josephine GEISS, daughter of Mathias and Barbara GEISS, the former of whom is now deceased, the later being still living. Mr. and Mrs. BEYER have had nine children, those now living being Frank, Jr., William, Matt, John and Stephen. Three died in infancy and the other, Mamie, became the wife of Ed ROBERTS of Oshkosh and died in 1919. Frank J. served in the army during the war, though he did not get overseas. Having trained at camps in Louisiana and North Carolina, he was sent out to Wyoming to take charge of government horses. His service lasted eight months.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 593-594;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator