"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Blohm, Charles H. sheriff of Vilas County and a resident of Eagle River, was born in the city of Laporte, Ind., Aug. 1, 1865, son of John and Elizabeth (LAUNGPUP) BLOHM. The parents were natives of Mecklenburg, Germany, and immediately after their marriage in Germany they set out for the United States, making the journey a sort of wedding trip. When they arrived at Laporte, Ind., John BLOHM had just 75 cents in his pocket and neither he nor his wife had any friends or relatives in this country. He succeeded in finding employment, however, with a firm known as the Rumley Manufacturing Co. When the last call came for men to serve in the Civil War he enlisted and served until the close of the war. He then returned to Laporte County, Ind., and went to work clearing land from the hardwood stumpage, being thus engaged for four years, by the end of which time he had cleared 300 acres. It was hard work, but he and his wife were frugal and saved all that they could of his earnings. In 1875 they moved to lower Michigan, where he bought 160 acres of wild land which he cleared and developed into a good farm. This he sold in 1887, removing to Oceana County, Mich., where he bought an improved farm which he cultivated until his death in 1898; his wife passed away in the previous year, 1897. They had a large family of 14 children, of whom six are now living, namely, Mary, Charles H., Sophia, Mina, George and Dell. Charles H. BLOHM acquired his education in the public schools of Michigan. Until he was 21 years old he resided with his parents helping his father to grub and clear up the wild farm in lower Michigan. He then learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed for some years. In 1890 he engaged in the tubular well-drilling business in Michigan. In 1902 he came to Vilas County, Wis., and engaged in well drilling here, as well as farming, buying a farm in what is now Conover Township. This place he cleared up, erected a fine set of buildings on it, and followed dairy farming in connection with well digging until 1917. He then sold his farm and bought a small tract of land in the village of Conover, on which he built a house, making his home there and giving his entire attention to the well-drilling business. He installs pneumatic water systems, tubular wells, electric, shallow and deep well pumps, power-heads and gas engines. It was through his untiring efforts that the town of Conover-one of the best agricultural towns in the county-was set off in 1907. In accomplishing this he spent money as well as time, his efforts and sacrifices being appreciated to the extent that when he was elected sheriff of Vilas County in the fall of 1922 he received a solid vote in his own town. When the town was organized he was chosen as chairman of the board, in which office he served three years, by virtue of the same becoming a member of the county board. He believes in having the best educational system possible and has done what he could be bring this about, so that the town of Conover now has four modern schools, thoroughly equipped and with teachers of fine ability. This achievement was not accomplished without work, and at times opposition was encountered on account of the expense, but Mr. BLOHM served on the school board 14 years and always lent his voice and cast his vote in favor of progress. He also served as assessor of Conover for five years and as postmaster in the village for eight years. Thus his record as a public official and progressive citizen is one of which he has not reason to be ashamed. Mr. BLOHM was first married in January, 1885, to Ellen VOORHEES, who died leaving three children, Mabel, Rachel, and Mary, all of whom are married, Rachel being Mrs. Richard DOBBINS, and Mary, Mrs. Robert DILLER. Mr. BLOHM was married secondly, Dec. 25, 1901, to Lydia GROVER, of which union there are eight children, Ethel, George, Cleo, Hazel, Olive, Cecil, * Esther and Wesley. Ethel is now Mrs. Wilson WILMAN of Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.; the others are residing at home. The family faith is that of the Lutheran Church.
[*A correction to the original source has been submitted by a descendant, the name Esther should read Lester]
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 427 (with picture),
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator