"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Bradley, W. H. who was responsible for much of the development of Tomahawk and surrounding territory was born at Bangor, Me., Feb. 25, 1838, and died at Milwaukee, Wis., Jan. 7, 1902. He came west with his father Daniel W. BRADLEY in 1855, and during the following winter they were on the Au sable River in Michigan. In 1860 they commenced buying timber on the Red River, hiring it sawed at Oshkosh until, in 1862, with others they erected a mill at that point. In 1865 they went to Muskegon, Mich., from which place they operated on the Muskegon, Manistee, and Pete Marquette rivers, erecting a mill at Muskegon in connection with Wheeler, Hopkins, & Co. in 1867. In 1877 W. H. BRADLEY returned to Wisconsin, locating in Milwaukee and from 1880 to 1886 Bradley Bros. & Co. operated on the Chippewa River, the latter part of the time under the name of the State Lumber Co. Mr. BRADLEY also operated on the Wisconsin River waters as the Bradley Co. and the United States Lumber Co., with principal offices at Tomahawk. He was interested in mills here with a brother, J. W. and a cousin, Levi BRADLEY, and he carried on very extensive operations. In 1886, in connection with the C. M. & St. P. Railway he organized the Tomahawk Land & Boom Co., built a large dam here, and in 1888 erected his first Tomahawk mill. He was connected in a financial way with most of the town's enterprises, was the largest owner of the Marinette, Tomahawk & Western railraod with its 62 miles of main line, and was a heavy stockholder in the "Soo" and Milwaukee roads, being at the time of his death one of the board of directors of the "Soo." He organized a company conducting a large department store at Tomahawk, with six branch stores along the line of his railroad, and was interested in a large number of lumber concerns and timber and land companies. He was instrumental in securing for Tomahawk the splendid schools and hospital there, and every church in Tomahawk was well supported by him. A man of fine public spirit, he was as well known for his strict integrity, and his word was as good as his bond. He left Tomahawk four weeks previous to his death, being conscious that his end was approaching, and he passed away at his home in Milwaukee. Two days before his death he married Miss Marie HANNEMEYER, his private secretary for 20 years, and one-third of his wealth went to the bride of two days, and one third to his adopted son, William T. BRADLEY, and other third being divided between his two brothers, Edward and James W. BRADLEY.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 502 (with picture);
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others;
H.C. Cooper Jr. & Co, 1924
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator