"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Chabrison, Amedee proprietor of "Musky Inn" Resort on Big St. Germain Lake, Vilas County, is one of the best known and most popular hosts in his line of business, and his place one of the most celebrated in the Wisconsin Lake Region. He was born in France, March 11, 1854, son of Eugene and Alexandrine (BRANCHET) CHABRISON, and was educated in his native land, attending common and high schools, later the Cheral-Benoist College, from which he was graduated, and finally the University of Paris, where he took up the study of medicine, and received the degree of M.D. Instead of following the medical profession, however, he took up the science of cooking and in time became a noted chef with a high reputation in Europe and later in America. He received from Queen Victoria the decoration of La Cordon Rouge--agold and cherry-colored silk band with a gold cross, bar and pin. This decoration takes its name from an association of scientific cooks and chefs, of which Mr. CHABRISON was once an officer. In the Franco-Prussian War of 1870-71 he served as an engage-bolontier, the company in which he enlisted being composed of his classmates and college chums. In 1872 Mr. CHABRISON came to the United States, locating in Chicago, where he soon became one of the best known professional cooks in the city and was for several years president of the Chefs' Club there. For 12 years he was chef of the Union League Club and served for eight years in a similar capacity in the Grand Pacific and Lakota Hotels. He also spent three seasons as chef of the Eastman Hotel at Hot Springs, Ark. In 1894 he won the first prize at the World's Pure Food Exhibition held in Chicago. It was in 1906 that he engaged in his present occupation, coming to Vilas County, Wis., and buying 60 acres of land on the northeast shore of Big St. Germain Lake. It was a wild locality but rich in nature's attractions. With a comprehensive plan in mind, Mr. CHABRISON began the work of improvement and adaptation, erecting his main building or "Inn", one of tasteful rustic design, with wide verandas, the ground dimension of which are 40x80 feet, with a kitchen 40x40 feet. He later bought more land and built five cottages in somewhat similar style, alike pleasing to the eye and comfortable within--in fact comfort (not luxury) is the keynote of the place. The dining-room and kitchen are salient features of the main lodge. The sitting-room with its big open fireplace for log fires when the temperature is low, possesses all the elements of home comfort. The drinking water used at the hotel has a reputation for purity and curative properties in kidney and stomach troubles. Guests suffering from asthma and hay fever find at "Musky Inn" immediate and permanent relief. The water has been analyzed and foudn to contain all the necessary medical qualities. There are accommodations at the resort for 60 to 75 people and that many may be found here at any time during the season. Mr. CHABRISON does his own cooking, using home-grown vegetables, the best quality of refrigerated meats received direct from the packers of Chicago, and poultry, fresh eggs, pure butter, milk and cream are always on hand, while raspberries, blueberries and blackberries grow wild in quantities within sight of the inn. Deer, partridge and duck, killed in season, add splendid variety to the table. St. Germaine rice beds attract wild ducks in abundance and there are myriads of wild fowl. Fourteen tight, comfortable, 16-foot boats provided with cushion seats are always available. The record catch of fish, made in September, 1910, by members of the Penang Sporting Club of Chicago, was four muskellunge having an aggregate weight of 172 1/2 pounds. It is a six mile drive to Musky Inn from Sayner station on the C. M. & St. P. road, or an eight mile drive from Woodruff station on the C. & N. W. road. The man who seeks ideal fishing and shooting, best of eating and good sleeping accommodations need look no further. If the guest makes the journey to the Inn by way of the St. Paul, he is met at Sayner by the Muskey Inn's private livery and is driven to his destination over the most picturesque roads imaginable, while at Woodruff on the Northerwestern he applies to the Bolger Bros.' livery for similar accommodations. One of the noval and unique ceremonies of the place, which always brings pleasant memories and is looked forward to with joyous antificpation, is that each departing guest is given a farewell "bugle" as he leaves. Mr. CHABRISON himself stands at the rustic entrance of "Musky Inn," and with his French horn, "Speeds the Parting Guest." He is a member of the Resort Owners' Association, of which for several years he was treasurer, he resigning that office in 1922, however. For several years he has been justice of the peace in the twon of Farmington. Mr. CHABRISON was married in the spring of 1878 to Mary HOLLEK of Kewaunee, Wis., and he and his wife have had three children, Agnes, Eugene J. and Elizabeth. Agnes is now Mrs. L. D. FRIESTEDT of New York, and has two children, Alexandrian and Wallace. Eugene J., who married Alouise Cook, died leaving two children, Eugene and Amedee,. Elizabeth is also deceased. Mr. and Mrs. CHABRISON are members of the Catholic Church, and he also belongs to an Odd Fellows lodge in Chicago.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 437-438 (with picture)
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others;
H.C. Cooper Jr. & Co, 1924
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator