"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Chapter 16: RHINELANDER, THE COUNTY SEAT
Part 3 of 3
No history of Rhinelander would be complete without mention of the principal manufacturing enterprises which have flourished here since the city was founded, some of the most important of which are now in the full tide of business properity. To write a detailed mercantile history has not been attempted, as the growth and prosperity of a town depend more on its mills and factories than on its stores, the former being producing agencies and the latter merely agencies for distribution. The first mercantile enterprises in the town, have, however, been mentioned, as the early activities of the place could hardly have been satisfactorily depicted had they been omitted; and mention of some of more modern development may be found in the biographical part of this work, such mention being incidental to the personal history. For many years Rhinelander's largest and most important industry was that of lumbering and it still figures to some extent among the manufacturing activities of the city. But as Rhinelander was simply the headquarters of the industry for this region, the work being carried on all over the county, as well as in adjacent territory, a sketch of the lumbering activities has been assigned to a separate chapter, which may be found under its appropriate title.
One of the important industries that were established here after the town had got well started on the road to prosperity was that of the Wabash Screen Door Co., which had two large factory buildings, each three stories high and 150 by 60 feet in surface dimensions, the second being put up in the fall of 1894 owing to the large and rapid increase in the business. At that time this concern was said to be the largest of the kind in the country, if not in the world, and it continued to prosper until unfortunately the plant burned down on December 7, 1901. Instead of rebuilding in Rhinelander, the company accepted inducements to establish their plant in Minneapolis, where, it is said, they were less fortunate on account of having to contend with labor troubles.
In May, 1886, Johnson Bros. established in Rhinelander a sleigh manufacturing industry, with a plant at the corner of Thayer and Rives streets. It subsequently passed into other hands and was finally discontinued. Rhinelander also had its brewery, which had a capacity of 30,000 barrels annually. The principal owner for some years was O. A. Hilgerman, who came to Rhinelander in 1893, becoming associated with the Rhinelander Brewing Co. In November, 1897 the building burned down but was rebuilt. It was sold to other parties in 1910.
The Rhinelander Iron Company was started in the spring of 1889 by Nicholas and John Didier, brothers, who came to Rhinelander from Muskegon, Mich., in May and June respectively of the same year. Peter Didier, another brother, came here in September, 1889, and took an interest in the business. All of the brothers had had sawmill experience in the largest sawmill and lumbering city in the world at that time-Muskegon. They also brought with them, or secured the services of three practical foundry men from Muskegon, E. G. Rope, David Bums and Charles Glover. The Rhinelander Iron Company's plant was located in its present position after the timber had been cleared away from the site, the location at that time being a wilderness. The machine shop was built and equipped with machinery in June and July and the foundry complete in August of 1889, the first iron being melted the latter part of that month. The concern was incorporated under its present name in May the same year and is now the oldest manufacturing plant in the city. The manufacturing of sawmill machinery, and the wrecking, moving and erecting of sawmills were the company's main business for 30 years, together with the installation of steam boilers and the erection of refuse burners and smoke stacks. It may be said here that the sawmill and burner work has taken the company into all of the southern and western states and up into British Columbia, Ontario and Manitoba. A feature of the Rhinelander Iron Company's work is the fact that it never has to be done over. The number of men employed has varied from 16 to 60, the variation being due to the pressure of business at different seasons of the year. There has never been any wage dispute between the company and its men. The plant here is completely equipped with electric motors and air compressors and with modem appliances for twentieth century manufacture and repairs.
In December, 1890, Arthur Taylor, who had come to Rhinelander from Marinette, established here the Taylor Beverage Co., buying a plant on the north side of town which he has since enlarged and improved, and he was soon doing a good wholesale business in the manufacture of cereal and soda beverages. On the addition of a wholesale jobbing candy department to the business in 1920 the name of the concern was changed to the Taylor Beverage & Candy Company.
One of the most flourishing Rhinelander industries is the Wisconsin Veneer Company, which was established as an incorporated company in August, 1900, by A. H. Frost, R. C. Dayton and W. R. and C. G. F. Hendy, and a plant was built at the present location. By March, 1902, the concern was employing 70 men. On Aug: 13, 1903, the plant was burned and the concern was reorganized in that year and the business taken over by Dr. A. D. Daniels, J. O. Moen, C. E. Morrill and R. C. Dayton, who continued it, a new plant being completed in March, 1904. On Dec. 1, 1914, another reorganization took place, a considerable amount of outside capital being brought in and the amount of stock considerable increased. Prior to the second reorganization the plant produced veneer only, but it was then expanded to include the production of plywood and both lines of production have been continued up to the present time. For the production of veneer the woods used are birch, ash, elm, basswood, maple, and red and white oak, procured in the territory tributary to Rhinelander. The same woods are used in plywood manufacture, with the addition of yellow pine and mahogany. The original veneer plant had 29,000 square feet of floor space, which subsequent additions and enlargements have increased to over 125,000 square feet. The plant and yards covers 13 acres and includes several large buildings. The total value of the production has been increased from $100,000 to over $1,000,000 annually, and about 260 men are employed on an average. The present officers of the company are: J. O. Moen, president; D. F. Recker, vice president, and F. A. Marshall, secretary and treasurer.
The Rhinelander Refrigerator Co.-The origin of this large concern dates back over twenty years, to December, 1900, when the Rhinelander Manufacturing Co. was organized to manufacture furniture, many of the local lumbermen being interested in it. The old Kirk Box Factory was purchased and enlarged and the business begun. In April, 1902, the company was manufacturing refrigerators also and finding a market for them. Realizing that a new field of opportunity was open, a meeting of business men and citizens was called in August 1902, by W. E. Brown and steps taken to reorganize the company on the basis of a refrigerator company to the exclusion of any other manufacture. >From that movement has resulted the present great industry, the buildings of which cover over 175,000 feet of floor space. They comprise the office, power-plant, dry kilns, woodworking departments, metal and wire departments, vitreous enameling unit, gluing rooms, cabinet departments and finishing rooms, three large warehouses and lumber yards, giving employment to 160 skilled artisans. The concern manufactures and sells 50,000 refrigerators annually and has travelling salesmen with headquarters in the Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Kansas City, New Orleans, Galveston, El Paso and Portland Ore. The company is incorporated for $300,000, fully paid in. It has adopted the trademark" AIRTITE", the refrigerators being so perfectly constructed that they have no cracks or seams to let cold air out or warm air in. The chief credit for the growth of this great industry belongs to R. A. Riek, who became identified with the business in 1905 and has since exerted all his powers in making it so successful until it is now nationally known. The comfort of the employees is a strong feature of the management. A clubhouse was established about a year and a half ago, an old building being taken and put into good shape for the purpose. It includes a rest room, dance hall with piano, refreshment bar, cooking ranges, shower baths and other conveniences, while outside on the company's property, baseball grounds are located. The personnel of this enterprising and rapidly growing industry are: President, E. O. Brown; Vice president, A. S. Pierce; treasurer, M. H. Raymond; secretary and manager, R. A. Riek. It may truly be described as a model up-to-date industrial plant and a valuable asset to Oneida County.
The Rhinelander Paper Company's plant is one of which the city may well be proud. The concern was founded in 1903, the promoters and founders being A. W. Brown, E. O. Brown, W. E.Brown, Dr. A. D. Daniels and Paul Browne. The company was capitalized at $250,000; A. W. Brown was chosen president, Charles Chafee, vice president; Paul Browne, secretary; M. H. Raymond, treasurer, and E. A. Edmonds, manager. A well-designed plant was built and a water-power developed, the company first manufacturing print and wrapping-paper. From time to time the plant was enlarged and improved and about 1915 the manufacture of print paper was given up and the company turned their attention to the manufacture of machine-glazed papers and glassine, the latter on Fourdrinier machines. Their market includes practically all the United States, Canada and South America. The company now has a capital stock of $3,000,000 and gives employment to 415 paper makers, while the monthly payroll is $42,000. The general plant is electrically operated by their own hydro-electric plant. In raw material the mill consumes every three days in hemlock and spruce what 40 acres of land will produce, but notwithstanding this large consumption they have a reserve supply for 20 years to come. The officers of the company elected for the year 1923 were: A. W. Brown, president; W. E. Brown, vice president; Paul Browne, secretary, and H. C. Hanke, treasurer and manager. The directors were A. W. Brown, Paul Browne, G. W. Mason, J. Segerstrom, W. E. Brown, Dr. A. D. Daniels and W. H. Raymond.
The Daniels Manufacturing Co. was founded and incorporated in July, 1915, by Dr. A. D. Daniels & Son, J. S. Daniels. They bought the plant now in use, which is located on Thayer Street, on the Soo right of way. The concern is engaged in the converting of tissue paper into napkins and the manufacture of crepe paper products. The officers in 1923 are: A. D. Daniels, president; H. Josephs, vice president; J. S. Daniels, secretary-treasurer, and Paul R. Philleo, manager.
The Rhinelander Box & Lumber Co. was started in 1914, by P. E. Kabel and William Hardell. In 1920 the latter sold his interest to W. C. Curtis. The plant, which is located outside the city limits, includes a saw-mill and planing-mill. The company are large consumers of lumber, using the lower grades for their boxes and selling the upper grades, and the officers run camps which help supply the mill. They also ship in several million feet of low grade stock from other mills for their boxes. Peter E. Kabel of Rhinelander is at the head of the concern.
Another prosperous concern is the Rhinelander Boat Company, who started their business here in 1903 and now employ 22 or more skilled boat builders, manufacturing boats of every kind used on inland waters. The factory building is 60 by 160 feet and warehouse 40 by 60 feet and the capacity output is 800 boats per annum. The company also manufactures cedar decoy ducks to the extent of about six dozen per day.
Among the latest additions to the manufacturing industries of the city is the Aluminum Flux Company of Rhinelander, which was organized in February, 1922, as an incorporated concern and is engaged in exploiting an invention of William G. Bolus for uniting aluminum to aluminum or to any other metal that will take solder. The process is a simple and ingenious one and the business of the concern is increasing. Mr. Bolus has attained considerable note as an inventor also of useful farm appliances and other articles. The officers of the Aluminum Flux Co. are: T. C. Wood, president; F. H. Piehl, vice president; P. P. Dandoneau, secretary; W. C. Orr, treasurer. William G. Bolus is manager, There are eight directors, all of whom are stockholders, besides one other stockholder.
The Glassine Bag and Novelty Co. was organized in March, 1920, with W. D. Brown, president; E. O. Brown, vice president, and Spencer Brown, secretary, treasurer and manager. The concern is engaged in the manufacture of greaseproof bags for candy, nuts and potato chips and soil-proof cases for collars, neckties and similar articles, the factory being located in the old bottling department of the Rhinelander brewery. About 30 people are employed.
The annual output of Rhinelander's manufacturing plants is $6,251,000, covering paper, refrigerators and forest products. Its mercantile establishments are numerous and varied, and it has a large hotel with the finest modern equipment the Oneida--operated on the European plan, and with accommodations for 66 guests. There are also several other hotels in the city-the Commercial, the Arlington and the City Hotel.
Of the three banks of which the city can boast, the Merchant's State Bank is the oldest, having been founded as a private bank by Brown Bros. in 1886. It was then conducted under the style of E. D. Brown & Sons, and had quarters in the building now occupied by the Kate McRae stationery store. It was organized as a state bank in 1890 and has a capital of $100,000 and surplus of $25,000 with average deposits of over $1,000,000. It occupies a portion of its own banking building, which measures 60 by 100 feet in ground dimensions and has three stories and basement. The present officers of the institution are: E. O. Brown, president; B. R. Lewis, vice president; M. H. Raymond, cashier; William Wilted, assistant cashier. Directors: E. O. Brown, Paul Browne, F. A. Hildebrand, W. E. Brown, A. Sievwright and E. C. Sturdevant.
The First National Bank was started in the fall of 1888 as the Bank of Rhinelander by Dr. Alfred D. Daniels. Subsequently reorganized, it commenced business as the First National Bank on May 5, 1890. It has now a capital, surplus and undivided profits of $150,886.40, with average deposits of $900,000. It is the United States depositary, and is a member of the Federal reserve system. Its business is carried on in its own building, a two-story brick, fireproof and with full basement, costing $40,000, but which would cost double that amount today. This building was erected in 1912-13. The present officers of the First National Bank are: J. O. Moen, president; A. D. Daniels, vice president; D. F. Recker, vice president; W. E. Ashton, cashier; F. A. Hyland, assistant cashier. Directors: J. O. Moen, A. D. Daniels, A. S. Pierce, S. D. Sutliff, F. T. Coon, S. D. Nelson, D. F. Recker, S. F. Weatherly and J. D. Milrea.
The Oneida National Bank, Rhinelander, opened for business April 10, 1920, with a capital stock of $100,000 and surplus of $25,000. In 1922 it erected the building it now occupies, a two-story, full-basement building, 33 by 80 feet, with Bedford stone trimmings, costing with fixtures $70,000. The Oneida National has proved its worth to those having banking business to transact, as the following growth in deposits will verify: Deposits on opening day, $158,000; April 10, 1921, $234,000; April 10, 1922, $301,000; March 22, 1923, $390,000. From the day it first opened its doors this bank has extended liberal credit to the merchants, manufacturers and wage earners compatible with good and safe banking, and as a result it has had a steady growth. Its officers are: J. J. Reardon, president; J. H. O'Melia, vice president; John W. Black, vice president; R. J. La Selle, cashier; John H. Woolley, assistant cashier.
The Rhinelander Chamber of Commerce was organized and incorporated in 1891 with a capital of $7,500 as the Rhinelander Advancement Association, its stock being sold at $50 per share. It bought land for city lots and factory sites, selling the lots on the building and loan plan. After paying two or three dividends it became less active. and lay practically dormant until 1914. It then increased its capital to $25,000 and reduced its shares to $10, at the same time changing its policy to that of a non-profit sharing association. The lots for homes were all sold and factory sites given to lumber companies to induce them to settle here. In 1915 the association organized and raised money to build the Oneida Hotel, and then got the state board of normal school regents to designate Rhinelander as the next city in which a state normal school will be built, the county and city giving the site on Oneida Avenue in the southeast end of town. Last year (1922) a land clearing campaign was organized and up to May, 1923,4500 acres of land had been cleared in the county. The Chamber of Commerce also got 40 business men to sign a joint agreement to guarantee the banks for a loan of up to $10,000 to the farmers to be used in the purchase of feed, seed and dynamite-no such step having hitherto been taken in the United States-and the farmers availed themselves of the opportunity to the extent of $6,900. During the war the Chamber organized the War Chest Fund, creating the plan whereby business, professional and laboring men contributed each week an amount equal to what they would earn in one hour in their respective avocations. This resulted in a fund of $57,000 and it was unnecessary to make a special drive in behalf of that fund. The Rotary Club of Rhinelander was organized in the fall of 1921.
A strong agency in the development of the city during the last 20 years or more has been the Rhinelander Building & Loan Association, which was organized in 1900-01 by Arthur Taylor and Ed Kemp, and on Dec. 31, 1922 had 585 members, 109 having been added during the previous 12 months. The loans made during the year amounted to $114,520.00, the total assets in loans were $274,995.00, with cash on hand (at beginning of the year) of $7,062.77. The association has had a very successful career and has never yet had a foreclosure. The president is Arthur Taylor; the secretary (until her recent death) Mrs. A. W. Shelton; the treasurer, M. H. Raymond. The loan committee (in 1923) is composed of J. M. Baker, Morris McRae, C. F. Barnes, T. C. Wood; the directors are T. C. Wood, John O. Moen, O. A. Kolden, S. D. Sutcliff and H. L. Bushnell.
The Wisconsin Land O'Lakes Association, the main office of which is in Rhinelander, was organized Oct. 14, 1922, its purpose being to advertise and develop the 30 counties of northern Wisconsin from Door across to the St. Croix River on the Minnesota line, especially along the lines of recreation. The territory involved contains more lakes than can be found in an equal area anywhere in the Union; and the average elevation is 1,500 feet above sea level, generally, in the tier of counties that are not on the Great Lakes; also the United States Government, in its Geological Survey, is authority for the statement that there is more oxygen in the-air here than in any other section of the Union. The Association advertises the territory in all the Milwaukee papers, also in the Chicago Tribune and Daily News, the Des Moines Register, St. Louis Globe Democrat, Kansas City Star and Louisville Courier. The main office of the Association is in Rhinelander. The officers of the Association are: W. D. Connor, Jr., president, Laona; T. J. Koerner, vice president, Manitowish; E. O. Barstow, secretary, Rhinelander; A. J. Lytle, field secretary, Rhinelander. The members of the managing board are: Otto P. Walch, chairman, Antigo; H. V. Joannes, Green Bay; M. P. McCullough, Schofield; C. A. Goodman, Marinette; C. J. Coon, Woodruff; J. M. Smith, Shell Lake; W. D. Connor, Jr., Laona; W. E. Brown, Rhinelander; C. A. Rudquist, Ashland; Phillip Young, Cable; and G. A. Griswold, Three Lakes.
Rhinelander began as a sawmill town and as such had a spectacular career. It has long since, however, outgrown that distinction, as the cream of the forest products has been logged off and the sawmill cut has so diminished that in its place Rhinelander commenced the real work of city building and county development, in which, being blessed with men of brain, wide vision and persistent energy, it has made notable progress. Its growth has been one of steady expansion. In 1910 the United States census gave the city 5,542 population, and in 1920, 6,550, built up on the transition from lumber camp to manufacturing center. The present population is about 7,000. The factory payrolls amount to about half a million dollars a month, while the per capita wealth, based on the average bank deposits of the three local banks, is $349. In addition to the manufacturing enterprises already mentioned there are two creameries that do a business of half a million annually in shipments of creamery butter, paying the farmer dairyman a quarter million dollars in cream checks. The work done in developing the agricultural resources of the county may be found mentioned in its appropriate place, as also that pertaining to the development of this region generally as one of summer resorts, a business that has been coming to the fore for a number of years past and has now reached important dimensions.
In connection with the history of Rhinelander it remains to mention briefly the principal lodges and societies.
A Literary Society was started at a very early day, probably by the pioneer women of the place, though it had some male members.
Rhinelander Lodge No. 242, A. F. & A. M., was organized under a dispensation granted March 4, 1889, and held its first meeting four days afterwards, on March 8, with William A. Doherty, W. M., Edward B. Crofoot, S. W., and J. H. Plumb, J. W. Signet Chapter No. 74, R. A. M., was organized in 1879 with S. H. Alban, E. H. P.; William B. Lasalle, K.; William H. Gilligan, S.; B. R. Lewis, treasurer, and Arthur Taylor, secretary. Maple Chapter, No. 181, O. E. S., was organized in June, 1908, with Ada J. McCarthy, W. M.; Charles W. Scott, W. P.; M. H. Raymond, treasurer, and Lillian M. Boyce, secretary. These Masonic bodies all meet in the same hall, a rented building. All three are strong and thriving organizations.
A Knights of Pythias lodge was founded in the 80's and was a strong lodge for a number of years. But after the establishment of the Elks lodge, the local K. P. lodge began to decline, many of its members joining the new organization, and the membership decreased till meetings were no longer held.
Rhinelander Lodge No. 598, B. P. O. E. (Elks), was instituted in July, 1900, with 25 charter members, and the work brought on by Wausau Lodge. It has now about 280 members. The lodge had been unique in the fact that no intoxicating liquors or gambling have ever been allowed on the premises. During the great war the membership was 100 per cent American, and, in keeping with the character of the lodge as a whole, did its full share in unholding the hands of the government and further its efforts in the great strife. Out of its membership of about 240 there were 60 enlisted men; two died in the service and many won recognition. Of the first 33 enlistment's 16 were commissioned officers.
Oneida Lodge No. 48, 1. O. O. F., was organized Nov. 16, 1887, with 18 charter members, the charter being dated Aug. 20, 1888. The present membership of the lodge is 130. Snowflake Lodge No. 51, Rebekahs, was organized June 7, 1900, with 15 charter members and now has 91 members.
Laraway Tent No. 17, K. O. T. M., was organized in 1888, and its companion organization, Pelican Hive, Lady Maccabees, in 1894. In the stirring days of the lumber industry the Maccabee lodges proved popular, and in August, 1900, they dedicated a new hall in the Chafee building. They are still active. About eight years ago Pelican Hive changed its name to Women's Benefit Association of the Maccabees. The Mystic Workers of the World organized their lodge in Rhinelander in April, 1902, with 35 charter members. Rhinelander Aerie No. 359, F. O. E., was organized April 16, 1903, and now has a membership of 506.
There are several Scandinavian societies: The Sons of Norway (Tombarskjelves No. 81), organized in 1908 with 25 charter members, and now having 100; the Daughters of Norway (Vaarblomst Lodge No. 30), organized in 1909 with 24 charter members and now having about 50. Both these lodges meet in 1. O. O. F. Hall. The Scandinavian Fraternity of America, organized in 1896 under the name of the Scandinavian Aid and Fellowship Society, is also represented, and another with a similar name- the Scandinavian Fraternity, a social and sick benefit order, the local lodge having about 122 members.
The Catholic lodges (men's) include the Ancient Order of Hibernians, Division No.1; the Catholic Order of Foresters, Court No. 443; the Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, Branch No. 95, and the Knights of Columbus, Rhinelander Council 2032. Division No.1, A. O. H., was organized June 14, 1895, with 12 members; the number has since increased to 50. Branch No. 95, C. K. of W., started with a membership of 18 in August, 1898, and at present has from 90 to 100, the number varying according to death, transfers, suspensions and reinstatements, 90 being nearest to the average, however. Rhinelander Council No. 2032, K. of C., was organized Sept. 14, 1919 with 67 members and the present membership (Aug. 1, 1923) is 207. Ladies' Auxiliary, Division No.1, L. A. A. O. H., was organized March 3,1903, with 21 members. The present membership is 37. It was formerly larger but has been reduced to its present number owing to many having left the city.
Rhinelander Assembly No. 134, E. F. U., was organized in 1900 and at the present time has 42 members. Lake Camp No. 1749, M. W. A, was organized Aug. 22, 1892, and has a present membership of 394. They rent their hall from the I. O. O. F. Oneida Camp No. 1728, R N. A., was organized in June, 1899. It' has now a membership of 382, of which 354 are adult and 28 juvenile. Pelican Rapids Colony of Beavers, No. 40, was organized Oct. 29, 1910, and has 165 members. .
John A. Logan Post, No. 232, G. A. R, was organized Dec. 28, 1887, and had an existence of 22 years or more, surrendering its charter in April, 1910. It had a total membership of 87, of whom but three are now living in Rhinelander and none elsewhere in the county, so far as known to Richard Reed, past commander. The Sons of Veterans, U. S. A., also formed a post in the early 90's or sooner, but this organization has been extinct for over 20 years.
A Boy Scout movement was started in Rhinelander some 12 or 14 years ago, being supported by several of the churches, but as there was no general organization, the interest waned and not much more was done until Mr. C. Brelle effected a better organization of the boys, making it non-sectarian and acting as scout master, the different troops being consolidated on a community basis. This organization has since been continued and is now known as Troop No.1, there being another troop composed of Catholic boys. After Mr. Brelle, Leslie Guthrie took hold of it, holding the position of Chief Scout Executive, and transformed it into a "First Class" organization. It was also aided by the Rotary Club, which raised funds to recompense Mr. Guthrie for his work, and at the same time Rev. Fr. Gray of the Episcopal church took interest and worked for the success of the organization. Troop No.1 now holds its meetings in the guild hall of that church, the present scout master being S. M. Riek. This troop consists of three full patrols, or 24 boys in all.
The Forest, Vilas and Oneida Counties Medical Society was organized about. 1910, with about 20 charter members, the first president being Dr. C. A. Richards of Rhinelander, and the secretary Dr. J. M. Hogan, now of Oshkosh. Though the society still exists, no meetings have been held for five or six years. The last election of officers took place in 1917, when Dr. W. A. Bennett (now in California) was elected president, but he later went into vocational military service. Dr. E. R. Boyer of Rhinelander was elected secretary and therefore still holds that office.
The Rhinelander Woman's Club was founded in 1898 as a study or cultural club and was originally limited to 60 members, which limitation was observed up to the period of the World War. About that time limitation was removed and now the club has 180 members. It has its own lecture course and in addition, last season it put on a lecture course for the city. Since the war it has been the main woman's society for civic improvement. The Monday Club, a woman's club for the study of history, with the membership limited to 12, was organized in 1894. It meets one hour once a week from October to April. All its members now belong to "the Woman's Club. The Business Women's Club was established January 4, 1921 with about 40 members, its object being to strengthen the friendship and business relations of the business and professional women of the county, to provide down town club rooms, furnish means of recreation and good fellowship between the members. It meets once a month. The woman's societies also include two Delphian organizations the Visiting Nurses' Association, the League of Catholic Women, and St. Elizabeth Court, W. C. O. F. The other organizations for lodge, social or benefit purposes include: Oneida Lodge No. 485, M. W. A.; North Star Lodge No. 122, S. A. F.; and Norflyset Lodge No. 29, S. H. & E. F.
Company B, 127th Infantry.-This company was originally mustered in, in September, 1898, the year of the Spanish-American War, as Company H, Fifth Wisconsin National Guard. Its first officers were: Captain, E. O. Brown; First Lieutenant, D. H. Walker; Second Lieutenant, Thos. F. Brennan. The company was changed to Company L, Second Wisconsin National Guard, in the summer of 1899, being so organized by the first commissioned officers of the company and mustered in by Col. W. H. Patton, the assistant Adjutant-General. It remained as such until October, 1917, when it became Company B, 127th Infantry on the reorganization of the militia. In the World War it was part of the 64th Brigade, which was formed from the 127th and 128th regiments, with such auxiliary troops as artillery, cavalry, etc. The company has a good armory in Rhinelander, which was completed in 1900, being dedicated with a grand banquet on Thursday, Feb. 23, that year.
Transcribed Sept. 2004
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator