"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
CHAPTER XVII: THE VILLAGES, PAST AND PRESENT
Part 1 of 3
Cassian is in the town of the same name, its exact location being on the line between Sections 14 and 15, Township 36 north of Range 6 east. It is on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, 20 miles west of Rhinelander and 10 from Tomahawk, the nearest banking point. Cassian was started as Cassanova Junction about 1885, a branch track being built off from the main line of the C., M. & St. P. railway for the transportation of log timber that was sent to Wausau. There was at one time a small sawmill here that cut for the Wausau Box Co. and logging operations in the vicinity were carried on by the Stewart Lumber Co. and also by Gilkey & Anson. After a store had been built the name of the place was changed to Cassian. Jens P. Jensen started a store here in 1903 and conducted it until 1920, when he sold out, though he still owns the building. For a number of years he was postmaster until rural delivery was put in from Bradley. Cassian is now simply a farming community. In the town of Cassian some Indian mounds were found in 1913 by representatives of the Wisconsin Archeological Society.
Clearwater Lake is a small community settlement in Section 24, Township 39 north of Range 10 east, which is in the political town of Three Lakes. It is situ-ated on the east bank of a beautiful lake bearing the same name, and is on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway 28 miles northeast of Rhinelander and four miles from the village of Three Lakes, which is the nearest banking point. The original settlement at Clearwater Lake was made by a small community of Seventh Day Adventists, but it never grew to any notable dimensions as a village. One or two stores, a real estate office and a large potato warehouse constitute the business places here, the warehouse belonging to the Sunset Farm estate owned by Clark J. Kuny. There are a number of summer resorts in the vicinity, however, the beautiful lake attracting many visitors.
Enterprise, a small hamlet in the town of Enterprise, on the line between Sec-tions 20 and 21, Township 35 north of Range 10 east, is on a branch of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, 17 miles southeast of Rhinelander. which is the banking point. The year 1888 marked the origin of the place, when some settlers came in and took homesteads. The first of these, as now remembered, was George Keeler, the others being William Wenzel, a man named Hooker, and perhaps one or two more. Mr. Wenzel cut timber and sold it to the Payne Lumber Co. of Wausau; he also made railroad ties and his sons later sold pulp wood to the paper-mill at Rhinelander. About 1890 the Schoenick1 family came in, consisting of Gustav Schoenick and wife, and their sons Herman, Paul, Rheinart, Julius, Gustav and Otto. They bought out the homesteaders and started a store and since then the family has been prominent in the locality, the Schoenick Bros. operating a sawmill and R. Schoenick acting as postmaster and railway and express agent. All the brothers except Paul are also now operating farms at or near Enterprise. Another early settler who took a homestead at Enterprise was a man named Miller, or Mueller, who after a while mysteriously disappeared, so that it was supposed that he had been murdered, and when he did not return after a reasonable time, his place was bought by Carl Massie. Paul Schank was still another homesteader who disappeared without anyone knowing what had become of him, and his place came into possession of Carl Kamke. An Evangelical Lutheran congregation was organized at an early date and a church built. The society has gradually grown stronger and has quite recently erected a new church edifice. Enterprise is on a branch of the Pelican River and is only a mile west of Pelican Lake. A step-daughter of George Keeler and her husband are conducting a summer resort in the vicinity. The village has a state graded school recently erected to take the place of the former rural school.
Gagen This once lively village, which has seen its ups and downs and today, after many years of inactivity, is the seat of a sawmill industry, is located on the line between Sections 28 and 29 in the town of Piehl, Oneida County, and at the junction of the" Soo" and Chicago & Northwestern railways. It is 14 miles from Rhinelander, the county seat and banking point.
The origin of the place as a scene of human activity dates back to the year 1886, when Timothy E. and Allen B. Crane from Oshkosh, under the firm name of Crane Bros., put up a large sawmill on the site of the present Crosby mill. The Crane brothers were experienced loggers, originally from Bangor, Maine, Timothy Crane coming west to Oshkosh in 1855, and Allen B. in 1866. With the latter place as their headquarters, they were actively engaged in the logging of pine in the early days of the business in Wisconsin. In 1884 Crane Bros., with Judge G. W. Wash-burn and his son, John R. Washburn, also of Oshkosh, bought of the Paige estate quite a tract of pine timber-about 50,000,000 feet-in Oneida County, tributary to the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railway, whose tracks cut through the middle of it, about one-half being situated on each side. There was no market for pine logs shipped by rail at that time; the problem was, therefore, how to dispose of the timber. In the fall of 1884 a side-track was put in at the site of what was afterwards the village of Gagen-named after Dan Gagen, a well known pioneer of this region-and a warehouse was built. During the winter of 1884-85 the lumber firm logged about 10,000,000 feet of their timber with their own teams, hauled it to their main roadways and put the logs on skids. To the railroad build-ers they let the contract for the hauling of those logs from the skidways to Rice Lake, situated on the Wolf River about 10 or 12 miles southeast of the siding and warehouse, and the hauling was done by about 100 pairs of mules which had been obtained from Nebraska The logging operations were started in September, 1884. The logs were driven down the Wolf River a distance of close to 400 miles and were delivered at what was known as the Bay Boom, just above Winneconne in Winne-bago County. They were rafted out in September, 1885, at the boom, just about one year from the time that the logging operation started. About half of these logs were sold to C. J. L. Meyer of Fond du Lac, and the balance to Williamson & Libbey Lumber Company of Oshkosh. The rafts were pulled from the boom to their destination by tug boats. About 100 men were employed in the woods in the logging operations, 50 in each of two camps, and many of them had families. Hauling logs by mule teams was a new plan; it required not less than two pairs of mules to each sleigh, and of the lighter mules three or four teams. William J. Wagstaff, now of Oshkosh, who has furnished these and other facts in regard to the origin and early history of Gagen, says: "It cost to put the logs on skids about $1.75 per M.; the contract to deliver the logs from the skidways to Rice Lake was $1. 75 per M. ; it cost to drive the logs that long distance to Bay Boom, where they were rafted, about $2.00 per M. ; and it cost for tolls to the owners of dams en route about 50 cents per M. There was a small charge, probably 10 cents or 15 cents for boomage and rafting." After that year's operations were concluded, owing to the uncertainty of river driving and the long time which it took to deliver the logs, the owners made other plans, and in the next winter's operations-those of 1885-86, which involved the cutting of 10,000,000 feet-the logs were loaded on cars and shipped to Antigo, these being practically the first log shipments by rail. The railroad company charged $4 per car. These logs were sawed at Weed's mill in Antigo, owned by Henry Weed of Oshkosh, and the product was sold to a Chicago lumber company at two prices, one price for what was called "the shop and better," and another price for the balance of the product of the log. This method of op-eration also not proving satisfactory, in the fall of 1886, the Crane Brothers and J. R. Washburn built the sawmill, what was called a hotel or boarding-house, a general store and a blacksmith's shop. About 25 or 30 homes were also erected and a post office established, with John R. Washburn, appointed by President Cleveland, as the first postmaster.
The "Soo" railway was constructed through Gagen, and the station built, in 1887. The balance of the pine timber was cut at the local sawmill, the cut being finished according to recollection, in 1890. The proprietors attempted to prolong their operations by cutting some hemlock and hardwood, which, however, did not bring them enough to pay for the manufacturing, to say nothing of the stumpage; so further operations of this kind were abandoned. The Crane Brothers bought the interest of J. R. Washburn in the sawmill and moved it to Tomahawk. The fact that Gagen was at the junction of two important railroads made it for a num-ber of years an important shipping point for all the products of the forest and of the supplies of all goods necessary for logging and sawmill work, as well as for the products of the mill. The veil of oblivion which for years thereafter hung over the once prosperous village was lifted for a moment in 1898 by Rev. Father Goepfert, of Eagle River, who was then contributing some semi-historical articles to the Eagle River Review, and who said: "Once a one man's sawmill town, and the men moved with the mill. Many empty dwellings are hidden among the trees, and near the crossing of the Northwestern and "Soo" lines can be seen the relics of the sawmill, a once flourishing logging industry. Even the depot two years ago was struck by lightning and reduced to ashes. One hotel and four dwellings are now inhabited; the remainder is a departed city." In recent years, however, Gagen has had a resurrection. In March, 1920, Charles P. Crosby began the erection of a sawmill here, which went into operation in August that year and is still running. Mr. Crosby saws his own logs and since the Stevens mill burned in Rhinelander in 1922 he has done some sawing for the Mason-Donaldson Company of that city. Gagen has a good schoolhouse of the second class, with two teachers. There is also the town hall, a general store and 15 houses, the latter belonging to the mill property. The land in the vicinity is mostly flat, but is interspersed with low mounds or hil-locks and some small timber.
Garth is the name of a former village or settlement near Collins Lake in the town of Hazelhurst, five miles southwest of Hazelhurst village, Section 21, Township 38 north of Range 6 east. It was named after an early lumberman, the Garth Lumber Co. having come to the place in the early 90's and begun logging. They also built a sawmill and had quite a busy lumber plant, to which a spur track was run out from the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway. After a while the mill burned down but was rebuilt. The company remained there for five years, when they finished their cut and went to Michigan and there is now nothing in particular at Garth except two summer resorts.
Goodnow is on Big Bearskin Creek in Section 18, Township 37 north of Range 7 east (town of Cassian). Any importance it may have formerly had was derived from logging or lumbering operations. A section house on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway and a small store are now located there.
Harshaw is another former village and post office in the town of Cassian on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway 14 or 15 miles northwest of Rhine-lander. In the early 90's a sawmill was operated there by Norway & Wiley, who about 1895 exhausted their pine cut. Mr. McNaughton, another lumberman of those days, began operating in the vicinity about the same time, having a different timber tract. Until the lumbering operations ceased Harshaw was a busy place; now it is a farming community.
Hixon is a locality north of Hazelhurst where many years ago a rough and domineering French-Canadian, who terrorized the neighborhood, was killed by an Indian whom he strongly provoked.
Hobson is a locality west of Gagen that in former years was the scene of logging and lumbering activities.
Hazelhurst: The village of Hazelhurst is located in Section 10, Township 38 north of Range 6 east, or in the political town of Hazelhurst. It is traversed by State Highway No. 10 and by the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, and is five miles from Minocqua, the nearest banking point.- It is on the west shore of Lake Katherine, one of the most beautiful bodies of water in the lake region, which is tributary by means of a canal to the Big Tomahawk lake chain. These lakes furnish fine fishing and are favorite resorts for summer tourists and-pleasure seekers. Hazelhurst village or hamlet, for its population is now quite small, owes its origin, like many others in this region, to the lumber industry, and for 20 years or more it presented a lively scene of industry, the Yawkey-Lee Lumber Co. (later the Yaw-key-Bissell Lumber Co.) having established here yards and mills. This brought many lumberjacks and mill men here, some with their families, and the national census of 1900 showed that the population of the village was .then 1052. This proved in time to be merely transient and the business interests of the place are now represented by a good general store for supplying the surrounding farmers, a small store for the sale of soft drinks, cigars, etc., and one or two summer re-sorts. The population is perhaps about 50 or 60.
The Yawkey-Lee Lumber Co. started their logging operations in this vicinity in the winter of 1888-89. The company subsequently underwent some changes in personnel. Within two or three years it became the Yawkey-Bissell Lumber Co. James Q'Melia, now of Rhinelander, was superintendent of the logging department, while Charles M. Rumery, now keeping a hotel and resort here, had charge of the yard work. The plant included a sawmill, planing-mill, box factory and dry kilns, and Mr. Rumery had 160 men under him engaged in shipping. After the Yawkey-Bissell Lumber Co. was formed, Fred White was made general manager and so remained until 1912, when he went to California. The company logged intermit-tently, working to and fro among scattered tracts of timber and having usually three or four camps, with 100 to 150 men employed in the woods. In their most flourishing period they owned 13 engines and 400 cars. At last they exhausted their supply of timber and the mill stopped sawing in 1911. By January 1, 1912, they had cleared up their shipments, the latter work being left in charge of Mr. Rumery. The machinery was taken out and shipped to other places, some of it going to Mississippi. As a part of their business interests, and for the benefit of their employees, the company had established a store, post office and blacksmith's shop, and in the latter part of December, 1897, they put electric lights into the yards and village. An article published in the New North of Rhinelander in 1892, depicted Hazelhurst as it then was and read as follows: "The Yawkey & Lee Lum-ber Co.'s plant is on the C. M. & St. P. road, six miles from its northern terminus and about 20 from Rhinelander. The firm is composed of Cy. C. Yawkey, for-merly of Saginaw, George W. Lee, formerly of Buffalo, with W. C. Yawkey, a Detroit millionaire, as special partner. The company built their mill and began operations in 1889. The location of Hazelhurst is one of great natural beauty on the shore of Lake Katherine, with many other fine lakes in the vicinity. Hazel-hurst is now quite a village consisting of about 400 inhabitants with good schools, church services, etc. The town is finely laid out, the company owning all the land; no saloons or liquor are allowed within its limits. The company own every-thing, the mill, store, boarding-house, logging outfit, etc" all operated by them. They own upwards of 100,000,000 feet of standing timber and operate their own railroad, which is called the Lake Katherine & Southern Railroad."
After the lumber company had left the place, the store was bought by Schwartz & Anderson, the latter giving personal attention to it and all the inside part of the business, while the former took charge of the outside work, such as contract work for building and repairing. In 1914 the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Ander-son is now sole proprietor of the store. Mr. Rumery bought the hotel, or rather that part of it which the company had erected, as he has since enlarged it and is still conducting it. He has also built four good cottages on the shore of the lake to accommodate his summer resort trade. Frank Bryant is operating several summer cottages in addition to a soft drink place. Among the noted summer visitors here are C. C. Yawkey, who has a cottage, Judge Bump, assistant attorney -general at Madison, formerly county judge of Lincoln County, and Dr. Frank Winneman of Milwaukee, formerly of Merrill, Wis. Though the village has no general lighting plant, a number of individual Deleo light plants are in use. The first telephone was put in by Charles M. Rumery and Richard Hoover, the latter of whom had a resort in Minocqua. At the present time the village and vicinity are served by the Wisconsin Lakes Telephone Co. A good sized schoolhouse was built here in early days by the lumber company and was used until recently, when, having got into poor condition, the one now in use was erected on the same school site. It is a two-room school with two teachers. Soon after the lumber company began operations at Hazelhurst a church was built here, which was called a Metho-dist church, though general services were held in it for a while, but the congrega-tion, never very large, in time dwindled practically to nothing and in the early part of the present year (1923) it was pulled down. The post office has been continued and is an office of the fourth class. Jesse Sipes was the first postmaster and was succeeded by F. M. White, this being during the active days of the lumber industry. Later Alex Anderson acted as postmaster for a number of years, being succeeded July 1, 1918, by Harry Lowe, who is still serving. The office is supplied with 40 lock boxes. The lumbermen, in the flourishing days of their industry established a camp of Modern Woodmen of America in Hazelhurst and meetings were held until the company and most of their men left the place, at which time the camp was transferred to Minocqua. An improvement planned for the year 1923 is a com-munity hall.
Jennings (or Lenox) in the town of Schoepke (Section 14, Township 35 north of Range 11 east), is on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway and the old road or highway between Pelican and Crandon. The post office was named after David Jennings of Milwaukee, (father of the present state senator from Milwaukee) who was active in colonizing the locality, having bought a tract of land here, which he sold to Polish people for farms. Though the name of the post office is Jennings, the station is called Lenox. The population is about 200 or more. To Edward A. Wolfgram is due the credit of having guided the destinies of the village during the last 33 years. Mr. Wolfgram came here in 1900, having in 1898 bought all of section 14 in which it is situated. Every building in the village has been built and is owned by him. These include a large hotel and general store, combined with living quarters, in a two story building of 50 by 100 feet surface dimensions; a garage, 11 residences and a creamery. In addition to conducting the store and hotel, Mr. Wolfgram to a considerable extent engages in the cutting and retailing of cordwood, and in farming, owning 700 acres of land, 140 acres of which are under cultivation. He employs about 25 men. He has shown his public spirit by giv-ing two acres of land as a site for the new school in district No.2. He also donated the site of the Lenox cemetery and maintains it at his own expense and built the Lutheran church at his own expense, besides personally paying for its upkeep and maintenance. St. Mary's Catholic Mission (Polish) at Jennings was organized about 1907 by Father Zielinski, from Antigo, and is now served from Rhinelander by the pastor of the Polish Catholic church there. The congregation numbers about ten families and services are held once a month. The public school is one of the second class, with two teachers.
McCord is a station on the Soo Railway, in Section 21, Township 36 north of Range 5 east, or in the political town of Lynn. McCord was an early logging center and there was a sawmill there, which for a while was operated by the Flour City Lumber Co. The company failed, however, and the mill was sold to D. H. Greely, who operated it for some years, when it finally burned down. McCord has been for years a supply center and shipping point for the neighborhood farmers and several men have operated stores there. There is now a small one conducted by Albert H. Morris.
McNaughton is a station and small community center on the Chicago & North-western Railway in the town of Newbold, its exact location being in the upper part of Section 6, Township 37 north of range 8 east. It is 12 miles from Rhinelander, the nearest banking point. The place was formerly known as Hazelhurst Junc-tion, on account of the fact that the Hazelhurst & Southeastern road, a logging railway, was built out to connect with the Northwestern so that the lumbermen might have a shipping point on the latter as well as on the St. Paul road. It was subsequently named McNaughton after a well known lumberman :who managed a sawmill there for Bradley & Kelly (the Land, Log & Lumber Co.) A pioneer of the county, Marshall W. Lloyd, in association with Thomas Owens, entered a quantity of land there at an early day, perhaps expecting the development of a large village, but as a community center the place has always remained small, though it has the ordinary accommodations of express, telegraph and telephone, with a general store. There are several houses and barns, a side-track and box car depot. The surrounding country is level and there is but little timber in the vicinity.
Malvem is a station on the Chicago & Northwestern Railway about six and a half miles southeast of Rhinelander. In the active days of the lumber industry some logging was carried on there.
Minocqua: The village of Minocqua is situated on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway in the town of Minocqua, 26 miles northwest of Rhinelander. The village is famed for its beauty. Surrounded by a chain of five picturesque lakes, it is built on what would be an island but for a narrow belt of land at the eastern point connecting it with the mainland. When the land was surveyed by the government in 1862, the field notes located an Indian village just north and across the water thoroughfare from Gus Nolan's place, and the workmen who graded the railroad there, some 26 years later, unearthed quite a number of bodies. Not very long ago bones could be seen sticking out of the bank in the small cut at that point.
It is said that at an early date the site of Minocqua, or its immediate vicinity was the scene of a fierce battle between the Chippewa and Sioux. On land of the M. C. Wetmore estate (owned in St. Louis) there are two Indian mounds. One of these is on the bank of Gunlock Lake, and was dug into some 20 years ago by Capt. S. W. Ray and two others, when two skeletons were found sitting together with a piece of pottery, like a kettle with a decorated rim, between them. This piece of pottery showed the effects of fire on the inside but not on the outside. Some of the old settlers say that 35 years ago there were two bands of Chippewa in this neighborhood, each under its own chief. When Captain Ray arrived in the spring of 1888, he found eight wigwams and a small log hut situated where the Catholic church now stands, and all occupied by Indians, who had a chief named Noc Wib, or so his name sounded when Captain Ray heard him pronounce it. The settlers called him Chief Minocqua, probably assuming that to be his name, and hence the village came to be so called. On settling here the Indians thought they were within the limits of the Flambeau reservation, a mistake that the govern-ment rectified for a time by extending the limits of the reservation so as to take them in, though subsequently they were obliged to move. There were 387 Indians in the two bands in the spring of 1887 when Gus Nolan, one of the earliest white settlers, arrived.
Through Minocqua ran the Flambeau Trail, which had been cut during the Civil War period, and which connected at the head of Tomahawk Lake with the military road from Milwaukee to Ontonagon on Lake Superior. This whole region was for many years a great hunting and trapping ground, and at an early date a trading post was established here by John Jacob Astor, who obtained his pelts from the Indians in exchange for the white man's commodities. This post, which was one of a chain extending from Ashland to Green Bay, stood on ground now the property of Gus Nolan, across Lake Minocqua and about half a mile from the site of the present village. It is fortunate that the shores of the lakes which surround Minocqua were logged at the time when timber was too valuable to leave to the forest fires great trees like those which in their decay now mar the landscape of so many Wisconsin lakes. The place of the fallen giants of the forest has been taken by a new and today well developed growth of pine and birch, maple, balsam, poplar and hemlock. The soil is a rich sandy loam with clay subsoil; it yields excellent crops and some valuable farms are to be found in this territory.
For 30 years or more Minocqua has been the Mecca of summer tourists and lovers of nature from all parts of the middle West. The shores of five lakes are dotted with public resorts capable of accommodating hundreds of guests; all of them are filled during the summer, in addition to which there are hundreds of pri-vate summer homes. The village has a population of about 500. On Friday, May 31. 1912, the main portion of the business section was swept by fire, causing a property loss of about $110,000; but a number of fine brick blocks were subse-quently erected to take the places of the old frame ones built in early days; so the ultimate result was to increase the attractiveness of the place. The tide of tourist travel set in the 80's soon after the building of the railroads, and it has since kept increasing, while the automobile in recent years has added greatly to the number of visitors. The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul road, the only one which runs through the village, was built in 1888; but several years previous to that the Northwestern, or that part of it then known as the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western, had been built through Woodruff, only two miles away, so after the con-struction of the Milwaukee the village could easily be reached by two railroads. Settlers at once began to come in, especially as there were logging camps in the vicinity which offered chances of employment. Among the earliest were Frank W. Rogers, Robert Stamp, Gus Nolan, John Briner, Frank Schilling, Deloss Daniels and Capt. W. S. Ray. Frank W. Rogers arrived it is said in 1886 and Robert Stamp, who died recently, in 1887, while Capt. Ray was one of those who came in the spring of 1888, when the St. Paul road was being completed here. Others who came about the same time, or soon after, were Mr. and Mrs. P. J. O'Malley, Mr. and Mrs. John Mann, Mr. and Mrs. Marcus Doyle and Mr. and Mrs. Michael Doyle. A. O. Dorwin came in 1891.
In 1888 John Radcliffe built a small sawmill and operated it for four years subsequently. It was located a little west of the present Gus Nolan place on a strip of land which after the building of the dam became an island. Deloss Daniels started the first store in a tent on land now part of the Gus Nolan property. There were four saloons close by, two in tents and two in log buildings. The first build-ings put up were on the north side of the railroad track, which here has a north-east-southwest trend, and this was before the town site was platted. P. J. O'Mal-ley had a hotel there on "Water Reserve" land, which was the first building put up in Minocqua, though not on the town site. The village was platted May 5, 1888, by Henry C. Payne, trustee, the plat being recorded on the same date, and accord-ing to Capt. S. W. Ray, the lots were not put on sale until May 27, 1889. Pat Madden bought two lots, cleared them with the help of John Manning, and put up the first building on the town site, the Lakeside Hotel, which he conducted for a number of years subsequently. It was the first regular hotel in town, though -Jack Sutton had previously run a saloon and kept a few boarders. The other buildings north of the track were taken down or moved later, Pat O'Malley's Hotel among them, which was moved on to the town site, where it is standing today.
John Manning above mentioned came here with Pat Madden; and is still living, being one of the best known among the old settlers. For a long time he was in the employ of the Land, Log & Lumber Co., and is a land cruiser and timber esti-mator. He has a house in the village and a farm some four miles out. Deloss Daniels moved his store to the location now occupied by the cannon near the station. John Briner was a type of another class, known as "drifters"; he stayed in town but a few years, working at odd jobs, and was nicknamed "The Old Sar-dine," because of a song by that name which he used to sing in saloons. Other pioneers who should be mentioned were Johnny Murray, John C. Fay, M. W. Lloyd, William Schlecht, Edward Briggs, Louis McBride, August Meland, Fred Tripp, Ed Walsh and Frank Roemer. M. W. Lloyd, mentioned in the foregoing list, who arrived in 1888, was superintendent for the Land, Log & Lumber Co. William Schlecht, who first arrived in Minocqua in 1887, has made the village his permanent home since 1890. William H. Fisher came in 1889.
Chapter 17 part 2 0f 3
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator