"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Christopherson, Conrad one of the progressive agriculturists of Oneida Couty, owning and operating a 117-acre farm in Section 9, town of Minocqua, was born on a farm in Calumet County, Wisconsin, Feb. 24, 1884, son of John and Sigred (MELBY) CHRISTOPHERSON. The parents were native of Norway and came to the United States from that country in 1872. Here they located in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, from whence they came to Calumet County 1878. Mr. CHRISTOPHERSON, Sr., were engaged in farming in Calumet County until 1920, building up one of the fine farms of that county. In 1920 he sold the property to his son Christ and came to Woodruff, Oneida County, near which place he bought a 40-acre farm; after living here for two years he sold out and returned to his old home in Calumet County, where he now resides with his son Christ. The wife and mother died in July, 1922. Of the nine children born to these parents, one died in infancy, the others being as follows: Christ, operating the home farm in Calumet County as mentioned above; Ole, now deceased; Sever, living at Minocqua; John, of Green Bay; Carl, of Woodruff; Conrad, subject of this sketch; Bennett, now of Milwaukee, Wis.; and Sophia, who is deceased. Conrad Christopherson received his education in the district schools of Calumet County and remained at home, assisting his father in the operation of the farm, until he was 21 years old. He then learned the trade of blacksmith, which he subsequently followed for some time at Brillion and Michicot, Wis. He next established a shop at Hayton, Wis., which he conducted for three years, and after selling that place he came to Oneida County in the fall of 1911. In the spring of 1912 he bought his present 117-acre tract of land in Section 9 of Minocqua Township, located on Federal Trunk Highway No. 70. This was all wild land with the exception of six acres, which had been cleared and broken, when Mr. CHRISTOPHERSON acquired it, and for the residence there was nothing but an old shack. He has worked hard in the development of his land, and today he has a fine farm; about 45 acres are under the plow, and in 1921 he built a fine nine-room house and a barn, 34x58 feet in dimensions, with basement. He has a good herd of Guernsey and Holstein cattle and carries on general diversified farming. His success has been due to his hard work, enterprise, and ability, and he is one of the representative men of this region. He and his family belong to the Lutheran Church, and they are very highly regarded by all who know them. Mr. CHRISTOPHERSON was married on April 24, 1912, to Augusta SCHWANZ, of Hayton, Calument County, Wis. Mr. and Mrs. CHRISTOPHERSON have one child, Arthur, born Dec. 27, 1915.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 256;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others;
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co.
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor since 4 Feb 2004--Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator