"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Coon, Conrad J. proprietor of Camp Franklin Lodge, which is situated on Trout Lake and is one of the large summer resorts of Vilas County, was born at Jackson, Miss., Sept. 15, 1860, son of Conrad J. and Minnie (WERGIN) COON. The father was a native of New York State and the mother was born in Berlin, Germany; the father died May 5, 1887, and the mother new makes her home with her son Conrad J. Conrad J. COON came north with his family when a child; after a short period of residence in Milwaukee the family removed to Oshkosh, Wis., and he was educated in the grade and high schools of the latter city. After completing school he followed farming and various other occupations until 1893, when he came to Vilas County and bought 40 acres of virgin timber land on the south shore of Trout lake. Here he at once began the establishment of his present resort, erecting the main lodge that year and proceeding with the development of the grounds. The enterprise was a success from the start, and Mr. COON has made additions and improvements from year to year until today he has an extensive and extremely attractive property. His main lodge is 30x90 feet in dimensions, and there are 21 attractive and nicely furnished cottages. The place can easily accommodate 135 people, and ranks as one fo the largest summer resorts of the entire lake region. Mr. COON has added to his land holding until the resort grounds now cover 400 acres. Beautiful lanes, drives, and winding paths, together with the magnificence of the natural scenery, make up a picture which no artist could hope to rival with brush and canvas. There are upwards of 25 lakes within easy distance, all abounding in fish and furnishing excellent sport for the angler; muskellundge, black and greenbass, wall-eyed pike, lake trout, and brook trout are taken from these lakes in great numbers every year. Cabins are maintained on Gresham and White Sand lakes for the accommodation of fishing parties. All the attractions of the great outdoors open in all their glory before the visitor here, and in the midst of this wonderful scene Mr. COON is conducting an hostelry with service and appointments rivalling those of the high-priced city hotel. His lake fleet consists of 35 row boats, 6 canoes, and two launches; many of the row boats are equipped with motors. To insure complete service and thorough attention to the wants of his guests, he employs 18 girls and from four to ten men at the resort throughout the season. The attention given the cuisine makes the meals delightful; all the vegetables, milk, cream, butter, poultry, and eggs used are produced on the property, insuring the finest quality and freshness, and in fact no feature has been overlooked in securing the complete enjoyment and satisfaction of the guest throughout his stay here. Mr. COON was married Jan. 17, 1893, to Gertrude B. AMES, who was born at Flintville, Wis., Sept. 6, 1871, daughter of Clark and Arvilla (REYNOLDS) AMES. Mrs. COON'S parents were natives of Pennsylvania; the father died Feb. 8, 1909, and the mother Feb. 19, 1909. Mr. and Mrs. COON have no children of their own, but have one adopted son, Phillip D., who was born Nov. 5, 1911. The family are members of the Methodist Church. Mrs. COON belongs to the Royal Neighbors of America, while Mr. COON is affiliated with the Masons and the Modern Woodmen of America. Both are the sort of people whom it is a delight to meet, and each of their guests is their friend; a great many of the guests return year after year to Camp Franklin Lodge. Mr. COON is a man of fine ability; he served as a member of the board of supervisors of his township for four years, and in other ways has taken a useful part in advancing the general interests of his community.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 524-525,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator