"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"

Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others. Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill. 787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.


Davies, William T. was born in Scranton, Pa., on June 16, 1899. When he was only an infant his parents moved to Newcastle, Pa., and then to Chicago, where the family remained but a few months, going on to Herscher, Ill., where two year were spent. Then they again moved to Chicago, where the father was ordained to the Congregational ministry. Inheriting musical ability from both parents, William soon asserted himself as a musician by joining the Moody Church Band. From May, 1914, to June 1917, the family were at Fox Lake, Wis., where "Billy" attended high school and played in the local band. In 1917 the family moved to Eagle River, Wis., and here again Billy joined the local band and graduated from the high school. When war was declared he became first tenor in a male quartette which sang in patriotic meetings for enlisting men. When the call for volunteers for the army and navy during the World War came, Billy went to a hospital at Green Bay to be treated for hernia. On his recovery he went to Chicago and enlisted as a second class seaman in the U. S. N. F. R. for four years, on April 29, 1918. The first months were served at Great Lakes Station; then he was transferred to Norfolk Naval Station. At Norfolk he successfully passed the examination for musician, second class. In November, 1918, he was ordered transferred to the transport, Martha Washington, to take ship at New York, and while there he contracted the "flu," which affected his lungs. The band was ordered back to Norfolk to go aboard the transport at that port. Billy reported sick on board and was put to bed, where he spent most of the voyage to and from France. Back in port, he was taken to Norfolk Naval Hospital, where he was consigned to the tuberculosis ward. In Februrary, 1919, he was transferred to Fort Lyon, Colo., from whence came news of his serious illness. His parents obtained his release from service on Aug. 30, 1919, and took him home to Eagle River, Wis. In October his mother took him to Tucson, Ariz., where he died on Jan. 10, 1920. His body was brought back to Eagle River and buried with military honors. His young life was sacrificed on the altar of his country as truly as though he had died in battle.

Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 453-454, History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin; Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others 1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co

You are our    [an error occurred while processing this directive]    Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.

© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use. Individuals may copy the information for their personal use. WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator Judy Groh.