"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"

Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others. Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill. 787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.


Doering, William who in his day was one of the best known men of Lincoln County, a pioneer of the town of Schley, and after whom the village of Doering was named, was born in West Prussia, Germany, April 24, 1848. After attending school in his native land he worked there as a teamster and stage driver, being thus occupied until 1880. Then with his wife, whom he had married two years previously, he emigrated to the United States, and, coming west to Du Page County, Illinois, settled at Elmhurst, a town not many miles northwest of Chicago. There he engaged in farm labor and operated farms until 1897, in which year he came to Lincoln County, Wisconsin. Here he brought 160 acres of heavy timber land in Sec. 24, town of Pine River, or in that part of the town of Pine River that is now the town of Schley. It was a palce hard to reach, as there were then no roads in the vicinity except the "tote" roads rudely constructed by the loggers. These he followed for years between his place and Merrill, with provisions packed on his back for use of the household. He has built for his first residence a small log house and proceeded to log the timber on his land, for which he received six dollars per thousand feet after it was sawn into lumber. Three years later, or in the year 1900, Mr. DOERING got the railraod built from Gleason south to the village or station of Doering, donating the right of way to the company. He continued in the logging business for many years, and at one time owned 22 40-acre tracts of timber land, and for many years he operated a custom saw mill in partnership with his sons. He also donated three acres of land for a cemetery in Doering, which he caused to be laid out and among his various public spirited acts he helped to build many miles of roads. He was among the foremost to advocate and adopt new improvements and operated the first threshing-machine ever worked in this locality, and he also got many new settlers to locate here or in the vicinity. In the year 1900 he built a hotel and saloon, which he operated for five years. In 1918 Mr. DOERING left the farm and thenceforth resided in the village until his death, which occurred Feb. 27, 1920. He was a man greatly regreted and one who had stamped his personality indelibly upon the pages of local history. Mr. DOERING was married Feb. 14, 1878, in Germany, to Theresa ARDNT, who was born in West Prussia April 27, 1857. she survived him and now resides in a pleasant little home just east of the village of Doering. They had a family of eight children: Tillie, now Mrs. Charles HUBBARD of Langlade County; Frank, who resides in Doering; William W., who died Dec. 4, 1918; Anna, now Mrs. Ray FRYE of Antigo; Albert of Chicago; Selma, wife of Guy DREW of the town of Schley, Lincoln County; Harry G., who lives in Doering, and John, who resides with his mother. Harry G. DOERING, who was born Sept. 16, 1898, in the village of Doering, and who acquired his education in the district school and in a business college at La Crosse, Wis., was associated with his father in the latter's business enterprises and since his death has been manager of the estate. He was married October 18, 1923 to Katherine BLOECHEL and resides at Doering.

Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 509-510; History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin; Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others; H.C. Cooper Jr. & Co, 1924

You are our    [an error occurred while processing this directive]    Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.

© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use. Individuals may copy the information for their personal use. WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator Judy Groh.