"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Ebert, Marcus A. prominent resident of the town of Tomahawk Lake
, Oneida County, was born in New York State, April 18, 1879, and came
to Wisconsin with his parents in 1893. After completing his education
at Milwaukee he entered the drug business for four years and later he
was for 10 years manager of the Fowler Mfg. Company there, and in 1915
he came to Tomahawk Lake. June 19, 1915, he married Isabelle JOHNSON,
who, as related below, was one of the founders of Minne-Wawa Camp, and
since that time he has been occupied, in co-operation with his wife, in
the direction of this camp and of Ad-a-wa-gam Camp, which he later
established. He is well known throughout Oneida and Vilas counties and
is an exceptionally able and public-spirited man. He is now serving
as chairman of the town board, of Tomahawk Lake, and director of the
School Board, also as a member of the Oneida County Board. Besides his
other interests, Mr. EBERT deals in real estate, and he is always a
strong backer of every movement calculated to advance the interests of
Northern Wisconsin. Mrs. EBERT is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. K. A.
JOHNSON of Portage, Wis.; after graduating from the University of
Wisconsin she taught school for one year at West De Pere, for three
years in the high school at Rhinelander, and for four years at
Milwaukee, Downer Seminary. Mr. and Mrs. EBERT have four children:
Margaret I., who was born Aug. 1, 1917; Mark J., born July 2, 1919;
Susana G., born Nov. 3, 1920; and Marion C., born June 13, 1922.
Minne-Wawa Camp for girls, located on Tomahawk and Big Carr lakes,
3 1/2 miles from Tomahawk Lake station, was established in 1912 by five
sisters, Isabelle, Jennie, Grace, Julia, and Margaret, daughters of
Mr. and Mrs. K. A. JOHNSON, of Portage, Wis. Of these sisters,
Isabelle, who was the leader in establishing and carrying on the camp,
is now the wife of Marcus A. EBERT, whose sketch appears above; Jennie
is Mrs. Nathaniel MILES of Mt. Carroll, Ills.; Grace is the wife of
Robert WILSON, of Burlington, Wis.; Julia is Mrs. A. O. HEADQUIST of
Madison, Wis.; and Margaret is secretary of the Bradley Knitting Mills
at Delavan, Wis. The camp site was selected by Edward GRIFFITH and
Frank MOODY, who were at that time connected with the Wisconsin State
Forestry Department, and is on land forming a part of the forest
reserve of the state of Wisconsin. The site was selected by these men
as being the most beautiful and fitting spot in the entire forest
reserve for a place of this nature; it is on a thickly wooded strip
of land separating Big Carr Lake from Little Tomahawk, in a land of
virgin timber and clear, sparkling water; its splendidly constructed
and picturesque log buildings nestle among the trees, forming a scene
of ideal beauty. Besides the main lodge there are ten sleeping cabins
, each bearing an Indian name, and, though the camp is located in true
pioneer surroundings, all the accomodations are of the best.
Minne-wawa Camp was operated by the JOHNSON sisters until 1915, at
which time Isabelle JOHNSON and Mr. EBERT were united in marriage; Mr.
and Mrs. EBERT have since operated the camp, with Mrs. EBERT in direct
personal charge of the activities. A physician and nurse are in
attendance at all times, and no detail in caring for the welfare of
the girls has been overlooked. Every form of outdoor diversion is
offered under a most excellent plan of supervision; a number of young
ladies, each a college graduate and each a specialist in some
particular form of camp activity, are employed as councilors, and to
each councilor there is assigned a group of four or five girls, to whom
she acts as advisor and helper throughout the season, taking part in
their games and being ever-watchful of their personal safety and
welfare. Each councilor writes once a week to the parents of the girls
in her group, giving all details of their daughters' health, spirits,
and progress, and every morning the councilors hold a meeting where
reports are made to the head councilor, who in turn reports direct to
Mr. and Mrs. EBERT. A girls' council, elected by the campers, meets
once a week with the councilors for conference. The entire plan of
organization is perfect, and Minne-Wawa Camp is a place to which
parents may send their daughters in perfect assurance that they will
return refreshed in mind and body, with recollections of good times
that will always be cherished among their dearest memories.
Ad-a-wa-gam Camp for boys was established in 1921, by Marcus A. EBERT
and is operated by Mr. and Mrs. EBERT. It is situated about three
miles from Minne-wawa Camp and is operated along similar lines, the
description already given of Minne-Wawa applying equally well to both
camps. These establishments are distinct adjuncts to the up-building
of Northern Wisconsin, the the state may well be proud to have them
within her borders.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 250-251;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others;
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co.
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor since 4 Feb 2004--Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator