"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Erickson, J. Adolph was born in the town of Farmington, Waupaca County, Wis., July 1, 1889, son of Hans O. and Hilda (PETERSON) ERICKSON. The father was a native of that county, born in 1862, while the mother was born in Sweden. The paternal grand-parents had also come from Sweden and were among the first settlers in Waupaca County, locating orginally right in the midst of the Indians. Hans O. ERICKSON was reared on the farm which he helped to clear and improve. The he bought 120 acres in Waupaca County, and farmed there on his own account until he came to Lincoln County in 1895. Here he bought 160 acres in Section 25-26, town of Bradley, 80 acres lying within the limits of the city of Tomahwk. The land was unimproved and Mr. ERICKSON showed his energy by building at once a house and log barns and clearing that summer 11 acres. With the help of his sons he cleared 125 acres, which are all under cultivation. The house, a good one, is a frame structure, and in 1910 he building a basement under his barn and put up a silo of 14 by 29 feet. In 1922 his son Adolph building another silo, 10 by 34 1/2 feet, and Mr. ERICKSON was actively conducting his farm and planning further improvements when he was called away by death on March 11, 1917. His wife, who survived him is still living. Of their 12 children, ten are living, namely: Helma, wife of Pete PETERSON of Tomahawk; Clarence, who is a farmer in the town of King; Adolph, who has succeeded his father as owner of the home farm; Oscar, who is a farmer in the town of King; Emil, who is working for his brother Adolph; Elmer of Tomahawk; Alice, wife of Charles GLISNER of Rhinelander; August, a farmer in the town of King; Edith, widow of Robert KRAIG, and who makes her home with August; and Cora, wife of W. S. SQUIRES of St. Paul. Laura and Minnie are deceased. In 1919 J. Adolph ERICKSON bought the farm from his mother, giving his 80 acre farm in the town of King, where he lived, in part payment. He has since improved the place, having added a Delco electric-light system which lights all the buildings, also pumping the running water on the place, and installed hot and cold water in the house. He is carrying on general farming and dairying, having a herd of 28 high grade Holstein cattle, with a pure-bred sire at the head, and is milking 19 cows. He was four years supervisor of the town of King, for three years being chairman, and as such a member of the county board; he was also school treasurer of King for three years and served as health officer, in all of which branches of public service he showed energy and ability, which have given him a high rank among his fellow citizens. J. Adolph ERICKSON was married in Merrill, Wis., Feb. 22, 1909, to Jennie JOHNSON, daughter of Iver and Hilda JOHNSON, old residents of Merrill, where the father is still living, the mother having passed away. Mr. and Mrs. ERICKSON have two children: Ella, born Feb. 7, 1911, who is attending school in Tomahawk, and Gordon, born March 7, 1919.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 603;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator