"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Fischer, William manager of the general store conducted by the L. Starks Company at Starks, Oneida County, was born at Aniwa, Wis., Jan. 3, 1894. He received his education in the public schools of Antigo, Wis., after which he learned the trade of butcher and subsequently followed that trade until 1911, when he came to the village of Starks, which was then just being laid out and developed by the L. Starks Co. He has the distinction of having turned the first furrow of land here for this company. After the establishment of their store he was made manager of their meat department, and he worked at this and in other departments of the store until Sept. 11, 1917, when he enlisted for service in Company I, 341st Infantry, in the World War. He was at Camp Grant with the 86th Division until Sept. 11, 1918, when he left with his unit for overseas duty. After a journey of 14 days on the water he landed at Liverpool, England, from which port he left four days later for La Havre, France, and thence to a village near Bordeaux. Mr. FISCHER was a cook with the 78th Division, having been transferred from the 86th. On leaving the Bordeaux region his unit proceeded to the Argonne Forest, where they saw active service for 29 days. The signing of the armistice came at the end of that time, and with the cessation of hostilities they were sent to Alice Ste. Marie, where Mr. FISCHER had charge of a rail head attachment until May 3, 1919. He re-embarked on that date for his home country, arriving at Camp Merritt May 17, and he was discharged at Camp Grant June 3, 1919. After the close of his army career he worked at his trade in Antigo, Wis., for two months, after which he returned to Starks and accepted his present position as manager of the store. This is a large general mercantile establishment, carrying a full line of groceries, dry goods, oils, gasoline, automobile accessories, etc. The postoffice is also located in the store, and Mr. FISCHER was appointed to the office of postmaster Jan. 1, 1923. He has proved himself to be a thoroughly able man in his conduct of the affairs of the store, and has given complete satisfaction to his employers and the public. He is a member of the Catholic Church, and is affiliated fraternally with the Knights of Columbus. Mr. FISCHER was married Sept. 17, 1921, to Mrs. Beda OLSON. Mrs. FISCHER in maiden life was Beda BERGMAN. By her former marriage to A. OLSON she is the mother of two children, Marcella and Hartwig.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 278,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co.
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator