"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Hazen, Charles Edward proprietor of Long Lake Lodge, on North Long Lake in Phelps Township, Vilas County, was born in Monroe County, New York, Jan. 10, 1872, son of John and Villa M. (STEVENS) HAZEN. The parents were natives of New York State, and the father died there Dec. 18, 1882; the mother is now residing at Seattle, Wash. Six children, as follows, were born to these parents: Julia, now Mrs. Elmer CLARK of Seattle, Wash.; Fannie, living at Port Orchard, Wash.; Charles Edward, subject of this sketch; John, a resident of Rawlins, Wyo.; Alma, operating a hotel at Detroit, Mich.; and Lola, who is now living at Portland, Ore. Charles Edward HAZEN was educated in the schools of Monroe County, New York, and remained at home until he was 16 years of age. He then came west and located at Conover, Wis., becoming steward at the Twin Lake Fishing and Hunting Club property, which is now the Locata Resort. After several years in this capacity he entered the employ of the Pullman Company as cook, remaining with them for about eight months, after which he worked as cook in various northern Wisconsin resorts for two years. In 1895 he went to Chicago, where for the following five years he had charge of the stock barn operated by the Drovers' Journal. In 1900 he returned to northern Wisconsin and established his present resort, Long Lake Lodge. He has added to this property from year to year until today it is a very extensive and completely equipped summer resort. Starting with 53 acres of grounds, today he has 300 acres of beautiful, timbered land, with find lake frontage. When establishing the resort inf 1900 he purchased two carloads of lumber in Chicago, having them shipped to Conover and hauling the lumber from there to his property during the winter by way of Lacota Lodge, Big Twin Lake, Phelps, and the military road from Phelps to Long Lake. He built three log cabins each 23x31 for the season of 1900, and in 1901 he erected a main lodge 25x35 feet in dimensions with the kitchen added on at the rear, the whole structure fashioned of logs and very artistic in design. During his third year at the resort he built the present road to Phelps. He has enlarged the main lodge and built a ten-room private residence, modern throughout, and he has increased the number of cottages to nine. The main lodge and all the cottages are lighted by electricity, power being furnished by a 15 hourse-power Fairbanks-Morse engine of the Detsol type, operating a 200-volt, 39-ampere direct current generator. This convenience is a particular attraction at an establishment of this sort. All the vegetables, poultry, eggs, cream, and milk used are produced on the property, assuring a continually fresh supply of these articles of food, and all the cooking and the dining-room service is under the careful supervision of Mrs. HAZEN; the result is a cuisine thoroughly delightful in every feature, wholesome and nourishing. The cottages have hardwood floors and are nicely furnished, with attractive rugs, and in fact every appointment and item of personal service is that of a hostelry first-class in all respects. Here, indeed, is an ideal place for a summer's outing amid all the beauties of Nature at her finest. Long Lake, on which the property is located, is four miles long and one mile wide, with a beautifully wooded shore line, and connected by a short thoroughfare with Big Sand Lake, which, in turn, connects by a portage of about half a mile with Smoky Lake. A cabin on Smokey Lake is maintained by the management, and a trip there is a pleasant and unique experience. The fishing in all these lakes is excellent; Smoky Lake is landlocked, and its denizens of the finny tribe are exclusively bass; Long Lake and Big Sandy contain great numbers of muskellunge, bass, pike, pickerel, as well as fish of the lesser varieties. The fishing is made available by a fleet of 15 clinker-built row boats, and guide service is available. Boating, bathing, hunting, automobiling, golf, baseball, and hiking may all be enjoyed to their fullest here. The lodge is open winter as well as summer, a unique feature but one which is proving very popular, for the natural contour of the surrounding country is ideal for skiing, tobogganing, snowshoeing, etc. Mr. HAZEN rightly believes that northern Wisconsin can be made as attractive to winter sport enthusiasts as Montreal and the other noted regions of the East, and he is doing a splendid piece of work for the Northwest by bending every possible effort to make it so. Mr. HAZEN is a member of the Northern Wisconsin Resort Owners Association and has served as secretary of this organization for eight years; he is a stockholder and director in the Phelps State Bank. April 21, 1897, at Sheboygan, Wis., Mr. HAZEN was united in marriage with Harriet A. HUSON, daughter of Alfonso and Emma (MATBY) HUSON, both of whom are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. HAZEN have one child, Harvey D., born Aug. 30, 1901, and now studying mechanical engineering at the University of Wisconsin.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 444-445;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others;
H.C. Cooper Jr. & Co, 1924
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator