"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Hill, William H., an esteemed resident of Minocqua Township for the past 32 years, was born at Pepin, Pepin County, Wis., Oct. 5, 1959, son of George C. and Abigale (FERRIS) HILL. The parents were natives of Connecticut and were married in that state; they came to Wisconsin in the early 50's and settled at Pepin. The father was a carpenter by trade and erected the first frame building in Lake City, Minn. He followed his trade at Pepin until 1867, when the family removed to Eau Claire, and at the latter place he was engaged as a cabinet maker and in wagon manufacture until his death in August, of 1918; the wife and mother died in November of the same year. Eight children were born to these parents, five of whom are now living; the children were as follows: William H., subject of this sketch; Daniel F., who died in 1910; Charles, now a resident of Decatur, Ill.; Thomas, who died in 1917; Frank, living at Eau Claire; Oscar, a resident of Colorado Springs, Colo.; Homer, now deceased and Bert, living at Minocqua. William H. HILL was educated at Eau Claire and learned the printing trade there, following this work subsequently for three years; he then spent three years in the bakery business, and subsequently worked in the lumber woods along the Chippewa River. In 1891 he came to Oneida County and settled on a homestead in the town of Minocqua, remaining for 15 years. During this time he accomplished the arduous task of clearing 30 acres of this land and equipping it with a set of buildings, thus accomplishing a fine piece of work in the agricultural development of the region. After selling this property in 1906 he went to Squaw Lake in Vilas County and there established the Cedar Lodge resort, which he operated until 1921, when he sold it and moved to the village of Minocqua, erecting a good brick and concrete block building 25x110 feet in dimensions, in which he has since conducted a first class bakery and confectionery store, a fine asset to the business facilities in the village. He is a man of unusual ability and has taken a useful part in public affairs; he served one year as township supervisor and one year as clerk of the town of Flambeau, Vilas County, during the time he operated Cedar Lodge resort there, and his advice on questions of public interest is much sought. Fraternally he is a member of the Minocqua Camp of the M.W.A. Mr. HILL was married at Bruce, wis., June 1, 1890, to Miss Sadie BOWLES, daugther of Mr. and Mrs. David F. BOWLES, both of whom are now deceased. Mrs. HILL passed away april 14, 1919, leaving three children besides her sorrowing husband. Of the children, John is now a painter and decorator and lives in Eau Clair, Wis.; Herbert is associated in business with his father at Minocqua; and Alice is Mrs. Clarence BASSETT of Minocqua.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 303-304,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co.
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator