"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Johnson, Oscar N. superintendent of the planing mill operated by the Turtle Lake Lumber Co. at Winchester, Vilas County, was born in Sweden, March 18, 1875. He received is education in his native land and subsequently worked there as a mason until 1892, in which year he came to the United States. Immediately on landing at Philadelphia he proceeded to lower Michigan, and after remaining there for a short time he went to Lac du Flambeau, Wis., where he worked for the Flambeau Lumber Co. for one year. He was next in the employ of the Yawkey Lumber Co. in their box factory at Hazelhurst, Wis. for one year, and he then went to Cloquet, Minn., where he spent the next 15 years in the planing-mill of the Cloquet Lumber Co., gaining a thorough knowledge of all branches of the work in this connection. The experience thus gained and the reputation he established in his work in this mill was the foundation of the successful career he has since carved out for himself. On leaving Cloquet he went to Scanlan, Minn., as superintendent of the planing-mill there, remaining until the mill closed down in 1909. He was next at Mason, Wis., as superintendent of the Heinz Lumber Co.'s planing-mill there; after this mill closed down in 1914 he was with the Prairie du Chein Lumber Co. at Prairie du Chein, Wis., for one year, building a mill for them, and he was next with the Fingle Lumber Co. at La Pas, Manitoba, Canada, as superintendent of their mill until the fall of 1916. From then until the fall of 1919 he was superintendent of the Brown Lumber Co.'s mill at Atkins, Wis., and ever since leaving them he has occupied his present position as superintendent of the Turtle Lake Lumber Co.'s planing mill at Winchester. He owns 47 1/2 acres of land in Vilas County, with a quarter of a mile of frontage on Rainbow Lake, and in August, 1923 he purchased additional land on Turtle Lake and will have a summer resort open for the public in the summer 1924. He occupies a high position in the community in which he resides. Mr. JOHNSON was married at Hazelhurst, Wis., Aug. 15, 1895, to Lena NOBERG. Mr. and Mrs. JOHNSON have had three children, Julius J., Sela M., and Edward, of whom one, Edward, is now deceased.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 568 (with picture);
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator