"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Knudson, Louis M. whose farm in Sections 15-29, town of Skanawan, Lincoln County, is one of the best to be found in this county, was born in the town of Franklin, Kewaunee County, Wis., April 25, 1868, son of Mads and Emma KNUDSON. Both parents were born in Norway and came to the United States many years ago, when young children, the father in 1837 with his own parents, who settled on a farm in Kewaunee, this state, they being the first white settlers there and surrounded by Indians. Their goods and supplies had to be carried 20 miles on the back over an Indian trail. The land they purchased of 90 acres, for which they paid 50 cents an acre, was covered with heavy timber. They built the usual log lhouse and began clearing off the timber, a hard task requiring many years, but in the end successfully accomplished. In time also they built a good frame house and were recognized as prosperious people. It was on that farm that Mads KNUDSON was reared and it was partly his labor that made it what it was. He was married to Emma HERMANSTADT in Manitowoc and with his wife's help followed farming in Kewaunee County until she died in 1886. He survived her some eight years, passing away in 1894 at the age of 86 years. They had ten children, nine sons and one daughter, of whom those now living are: Knute of Green Bay, Wis.; Thomas, now living at Gagen, Oneida County, and Louis M., subject of this sketch. Those deceased are Knute (first), Nels, Ole, Massey, Thomas and Louis (first), who were twins, and Anna. Louis M. KNUDSON was reared on his parents' farm in Kewaunee and attended school there. He helped clear the land and was engaged in farm work until 25 years old. He then took up the carpenter's trade and for some time was engaged in building railroad bridges. In 1894 he came to Merrill, Wis. and for several years thereafter was engaged in contracting and building there. It was in 1908 that he began farming for himself, buying 240 acres of land, covered with brush and stumps, in Sections 15 and 29, town of Skanawan, Lincoln County. He built a small frame house and started clearing and improving the land, which work he has kept up until he now has 55 acres under cultivation. In 1918 he built an eight-room modern house with an outside finish of Kellystone. It is installed with furnace heat, running water, and electric lights operated by a home Delco system. In 1922 Mr. KNUDSON made another addition to his buildings, erecting a frame barn 34 x 84 feet in size, with a full basement, and provided with running water, electric lights and the James equipment. He is carrying on general farming and dairying, keeping a herd of pure bred and graded Holstein cattle with a registered sire at the head. His tools and machinery are of the best and he is a good representative of the farming interests of northern Wisconsin. He has served capably in several public offices having been town supervisor, town treasurer and a member of the school board of his district. Fraternally he is affiliated with the modern Woodmen of America, and the Royal Neighbors, the Eagles and the Odd Fellows. He has never married and his neice is now keeping house for him.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 560-561,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator