"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Kohlhoff, Leonard J. a partner in the merchandising firm of Kohlhoff, Krueger & Co. of Merrill, was born on a farm near Watertown, Wis., June 29, 1880, son of August and Wilhelmina (WOCKENFUSS) KOHLHOFF. Both parents were born in Germany and came to the United States as children with their respective families; they were married at Watertown, Wis. There were nine children in their family as follows: Mary, now Mrs. Charles SCHMIDT of Clyman, Wis.; Frederick, a resident of Watertown, Wis.; Otto, Anna, Bernhard, and Herman, who are now deceased; Reinhold, who is living at Watertown; Leonard J., subject of this sketch; and Elizabeth, who is Mrs. Charles KLOEHN of Garfield, Minn. Leonard J. KOHLHOFF attended a parochial school near his home until he was 14 years old and then entered Northwestern Lutheran College at Watertown, Wis. With is other studies he took a commerical course, and after spending four and a half years there he took a position with the Jahnke Creamery Co. of Watertown as bookkeeper, in which capacity he remained three years. He then entered the manufacturing department of the same creamery company, learning the trade of butter maker and staying with them in that work for nearly two years. In 1906 he went into the factory of the Washington Cutlery Co. at Watertown and he remained with that concern until the spring of 1911. In the fall of that year he came to Merrill, and in October formed a partnership with Charles A. KRUEGER and Martin E. H. MARKWORTH to establish a store dealing in dry goods, ladies' ready-to-wear clothing, shoes, and general furnishings, under the firm name of Kohlhoff, Krueger & Co. On July 28, 1921, Mr. KRUEGER died, but Mrs. KRUEGER retains his interests and the name of the firm continues unchanged. Their store, located at 406-408 West Main Street, is a two-story brick building 52 by 104 feet in dimensions and is owned by the firm, Markworth & Kohlhoff. It is finely stocked, and the enterprise has been an unqualified success from the start, under the able guidance of its founders. Mr. KOHLHOFF was married on Oct. 16, 1906, to Martha MARKWORTH, who was born at Bloomfield, Lincoln County, Wis., Sept. 12, 1880, daughter of Christian and Wilhelmina MARKWORTH. Mrs. KOHLHOFF'S father was a Lutheran pastor. Three children, as follows, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. KOHLHOFF: Walter A., who was born Aug. 9, 1908, and is now a student in the Merrill High School; Ruth, born June 25, 1911; and Gertrude, Sept. 24, 1918. The family own their fine modern residence in Merrill; they are prominent members of Trinity Lutheran Church and take an active part in the social life of the community.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 553,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator