"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Larson, Albert C. secretary and treasurer of the Larson Lumber Company, whose headquarters are in the village of Jeffris, Lincoln County, was born in Wexford County, Michigan, Sept. 19, 1892. His parents were Ole and Augusta (BOOSTROM) LARSON, natives of Sweden who came to the United States in 1887, settling in Osceola County, Michigan, where Ole LARSON found work in logging camps. For many years thereafter he was connected with the lumbering industry in its various branches, and in 1912, with his son Albert C., he purchased the town site of Jeffris, consisting of 115 acres of land and all the buildings in the village, which they bought from the Bundy Lumber Company, who had previously purchased it from D. K. JEFFRIS, who had started the village in 1891. In 1913 the Larson Lumber Co. was incorporated with Ole LARSON, president; Albert C. LARSON, secretary and treasurer; and J. C. WORDEN, vice president. The concern is now one of the important and representative industries of Lincoln County and is doing an extensive business. In the winter of 1913-14 they erected a large sawmill which they have since kept in continuous operation, their output of lumber being sold in wholesale lots, principally in Milwaukee and Chicago, though quite an amount goes to Michigan and the far East. They manufacture pine, hemlock and all northern hardwood lumber and also spruce and cedar poles and pulp wood. In addition to this they conduct a large general store, in which the post office was kept until 1921. The 115 acres comprising the site of Jeffris village are contained in Lots 6 and 7, Section 24, town of Harrison (Township 35 north, Range 8 east). while the Bundy Lumber Company were here the village and post office were known as Bundy, the original name, however, being subsequently resumed. In addition to the large store building and sawmill, there are a warehouse, schoolhouse, and 24 residences. It is on a branch of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, which gives it good shipping facilities. Mr. Ole LARSON, president of the company, is one of the solid business men and widely known residents of Lincoln County. His faithful wife passed away on Aug. 6, 1915.
Albert C. LARSON was educated in the public schools of Osceola County, Michigan, and in the Ferris Institute at Grand Rapids, Mich. For three years thereafter he was stenographer in the employ of the Grand Trunk Railway with headquarters at Battle Creek, Mich. At the end of that time he became associated with his father in the lumber business at Jeffris, as already mentioned, and since then he has established an excellent business reputation in the county. For six years he was postmater at Jeffris. He was married April 30, 1917, to Hazel AMOE of Jeffris, and he and his wife are the parents of two children: Irene Jeanne, born Feb. 19, 1918, and Dorothy Nancy, born Aug. 8, 1921. They are affiliated religiously with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 462-463,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator