"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Leary, Henry proprietor of Mountain View House on the west shore of Tomahawk Lake, in the town of Minocqua, Oneida County, was born in the city of Fond du Lac, Wis., April 27, 1857. He was educated in the Fond du Lac schools and subsequently followed contracting and railroad construction work until 1896, when he came to Oneida County and purchased 40 acres of wild land on the site of his present resort. Here he began the development of a farm, but he was diverted from this work as it became apparent that the real future of the place lay in its possibilities as a summer resort. The exquisite beauty of the natural scenery, the excellent fishing in the surrounding waters, and the many other attractions, caused him to be besieged with requests by vacationists and tourists for accommodations during the summer months, and eventually he surrendered to their wishes and established his present summer resort, Mountain View House. He built the main lodge in 1916, a two-story structure with eight sleeping rooms, a dining-room, office, and kitchen. The cottages are roomy and scrupulously clean, and there are accommodations for 30 people in all. Lodge and cottages are set on a high knoll overlooking the cool waters of beautiful Tomahawk Lake; besides calling forth a view lovely in the extreme, the elevation insures a perpetual refreshing breeze, keeping away mosquitoes and making the days and nights a real tonic for building up the jaded constitution of the city dweller. All cream, milk, eggs, poultry and vegetables used are produced on the property, and "good eats" thoroughly describes the cuisine. There is no better fishing anywhere in this celebrated region than in Tomahawk Lake and the surrounding waters, and no matter what the particular bent of the nature lover or sportsman, he will find full opportunity to indulge in it here. A fleet of row boats, launches, and boats equipped with Evinrude motors is maintained; live bait is kept on hand, and guides are furnished on request. Mr. LEARY has extended the area of the ground by the purchase of an additional 40-acre tract, so that there are now 80 acres, and the property has a full half-mile of lake frontage. The return of a great number of the guests year after year speaks highly for the attractions of Mountian View House. Mr. LEARY was married April 15, 1884, to Gladys QUICK, who was born in Grand Rapids, Wis., March 10, 1866. Mr. and Mrs. LEARY have seven children: John, Maude, Ray, Pearl, Loretta, Henry, and Gladys. John, who was born Jan. 19, 1885, is married and living in Ithaca, N.Y. Maude, born June 1, 1887, is Mrs. Andrew MITCHELL of Duluth, Minn. Ray, born Oct. 20, 1889, is in the garage business at Duluth, Minn.; Pearl, who was born June 2, 1900; is the wife of C. W. HOLMES and has her home in Florida. Loretta, born March 8, 1904, Deforest Henry, who was born Jan. 4, 1908, and Gladys, born June 29, 1910, are living at home.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 646;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator