"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Madden, William E. operating the North Shore Lodge near Minocqua and representative of a pioneer family of that village, was born at Wausau, Wis., Dec. 2, 1885, son of Patrick and Mary Anna (LAUGHRIN) MADDEN. The parents were natives of Canada; the father came to the United States in the early 70's and worked for the Alexander Stewart Lumber Co. at Wausau in their mill and in the woods. Later he entered the hotel business at Wakefield, Mich., but his establishment there was destroyed by fire after he had operated it for two years, and he came to Minocqua on May 24, 1887. Here he purchased two lots and built one of the first hotels in the village known as the Lakeside Hotel; after operating this until 1907 he sold it to James R. MARVIN and then built the Kawaguesaga Resort, two and a half miles west of Minocqua on Lake Kawaguesaga, which he operated until his death. The mother died March 15, 1920. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Patrick MADDEN; Edward, who died in infancy; William E., subject of this sketch; and Charles Raymond, who now operates the Kawaguesaga Resort. There was also a half brother, Daniel, in the family. William E. MADDEN, after finishing the Minocqua grade and high schools, assisted his father in the resort business until 1915, when he entered the employ of the C. M. & St. P. Railway as brakeman, in which capacity he worked with them for four years, obtaining a leave of absence each summer after his father's death in order to help his mother in operating the resort. Upon his mother's death operating of the property was taken over by the sons, Daniel, Raymond, and William, who ran it in partnership until July 1, 1920, when William sold out to the other two. In the same year he bought the John O'DAY home, and this he remodeled into his present resort, known as the North Shore Lodge, on Lake Kawaguesaga. He has erected four cottages and can accommodate 20 persons, furnishing meals, boat and livery service, etc. he has done a fine piece of work for the future of the lake region in adding this excellent resort to those that are doing so much for the building up of this section of the country, and he is in every way a highly esteemed citizen of the community. Mr. MADDEN was married at Wausau,Wis., in March, 1917, to Elsie BERGMAN, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Frank BERGMAN, who are residents of Merrill, Wis. Mr. and Mrs. MADDEN are members of the Catholic Church.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 745-746,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator