"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Manthey, Albert W. who for a number of years has been at the head of a considerable mercantile business in the village of Gleason, Lincoln County, was born in Germany, June 7, 1868, and was an infant when he came to the United States with his parents. The family settled in Winnebago County, Wisconsin, where the father worked rented land, but the chintz bug scourge and failure of crops drove them out and in 1879 they went to Price County. There the father homesteaded 160 acres of wild land. Albert W. had but little schooling, as he had to make himself useful at an early age helping his father to clear the farm. On Oct. 7, 1895, being then in his twenty-sixth year, he was married to Augusta L. MEIER of Milwaukee, who, however, was born on a farm in Racine County, Wisconsin, June 8, 1866, daughter of Sigfried and Rosina MEIER. Mr. MANTHEY and wife began home making in Phillips, Wis. From 1883 to 1895 he was engaged every winter in the woods, driving an ox team, and skidding logs, and in running logs on the drive in the spring. During the first six winters and springs he was with the McCrossen Lumber Co. of Wausau, and the second six winters and springs with the Knox Brothers of the same city. His logging and river running were done on the Spirit and Somo rivers, at Rib Lake, and on the Big Elk River. In June, 1904, he came to the village of Gleason to become manager of the Gleason store of the C. A. Gesell Company of Tomahawk, a concern dealing in general merchandise. At the end of two years the Gesell Company sold their Gleason business to the Heineman lumber Co., Mr. MANTEY going with the transfer and continuing as manager. In 1910 he bought the store and stock, becoming proprietor, which he has since remained. The building is a large wooden structure, providing plenty of store place and he carries a large and well-selected stock. In conducting the business he is assisted by his sons Robert W. and Edward J. Close to the store he owns a good residence. Through the efforts of W. H. BRADLEY, now deceased, a post office was established in Gleason in 1902, and for 11 years prior to the coming in of the Wilson administration, Mr. MANTHEY was postmaster, the office being located in his store, and the latter carried on under the name of the A. W. Manthey Co. Besides doing a good business here Mr. MANTHEY is a stockholder in and a director, also vice president of the Gleason State Bank; secretary and treasurer and a stockholder in the Prairie River Co-operative Creamery Co., and one of its directors; and a stockholder in and director of the Gleason Telephone Co. and also in the Tomahawk Fraternal Association and Opera house at Tomahawk. In politics a Republican, while in Price County he served the town of Brannan for six years as supervisor and his school district for an equal length of time as treasurer. He has served the Gleason school district as treasurer for the last 18 years. A member of the K.O.T.M. order he has passed all the chairs up to the rank of commander, and he and his family are members and substantial supports of the Riverside Presbyterian Church, Mr. MANTHEY being one of its board of trustees. Mr. and Mrs. MANTHEY are the parents of four children, Robert W., Emma A., Edward J. and Grace A. Robert W. MANTHEY, born at Tomahawk April 3, 1897, was graduated from the Gleason grade school, and was two years in the high school. On May 29, 1918, he volunteered for service in the World War and was sent to the infantry training camp at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri, and thence to the Joseph E. Johnson Camp in Florida. Having enlisted in the Signal Corps, he was transferred to the general quartermanster's corps and thence to the Motor Transport Corps. At the J. E. Johnston camp he was made a corporal. On Aug. 12, 1918, he embarked for overseas at Newport News, Va., and arrived at Brest, France, Aug. 23. There he served in the M.T.C. American Expedition forces and attended the Military Training School in the city of DeCize, Department of Scher. He was afterwards transferred to the A. S. F. Base Sector No. 1. He served also in the Forest of Painpont, Dept. Ille E. T. Villiane, for eight months and was then transferred to St. Nazaire where he spent two months. He embarked on his return trip for the United States July 17, 1919, landed in this country July 29, was sent to Camp Merritt, N.J., and thence to Camp Grant, Illionois, where he was discharged on August 6 following. On May 15, 1922, he organized the Guy Rice Post, No. 260, of the American Legion at Gleason, and was made its commander, which position he now holds. He also belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America, being manager of his camp, and is a member of Virginia Falls Lodge No. 226, Free and Accepted Masons, of Merrill, Wis. Emma A. MANTHEY, born at Tomahawk, Aug. 3, 1898, was educated in the grade school of Gleason and in the high school at Tomahawk, Wis., where she was a pupil for one year. She is now Mrs. Conrad STROBEL of Gleason. Edward J. MANTHEY, born at Tomahawk, Wis., Feb. 6, 1901, and Grade A., born April 7, 1906, at Gleason, are both residing at home, the former helping his father in the store.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 664-665;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator