"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Marshall, Fay A. secretary, treasurer and general manager of the Wisconsin Veneer Co., at Rhinelander, Oneida County, with the success of which important concern he has had much to do, was born at Burlington Junction, Mo., March 17, 1883, son of George B. and Mildred (JONES) MARSHALL. The father was a native of Hillsboro Bridge, New Hampshire, and the mother of New York State, and they were married at Denison, Iowa, in 1879. They remained there until 1882, Geo. B. MARSHALL being the first agent for the C. & N. W. Railway there, and then moved to Burlington Junction, where he was agent for the Wabash Railway Co. until 1890. He was next in the employ of the Curtis & Yale Mfg. Co. at Wausau, Wis., and later in that of the First National Bank of that city, residing there until his death on May 30, 1896. Mrs. Mildred MARSHALL died in the winter of 1889-1890. Their children were: Fay A., subject of this sketch; Orpha M., now deceased; and Isabelle E., who is a teacher in Des Moines, Iowa. Fay A. MARSHALL acquired his elementary education in Wausau and was graduated from the Denison High School with the class of 1900. He then worked for a short time in the railway eating-house at Wall Lake, Iowa, and on going to Wausau in 1901, became an employee of the Curtis & Yale Mfg. Co., manufacturers of sash doors and blinds. With this concern he remained 13 years, starting as office boy and ending as purchasing agent and sales manager. By that time he had established a good business reputation, which led, in October, 1914, to his coming to Rhinelander to reorganized the Wisconsin Veneer Company, the reorganization being effected Dec. 1, 1914, that year, when Mr. MARSHALL became secretary, treasurer and general manager of the concern. At the time he came here the company had 35,000 square feet of floor space, an amount that has since been increased to 103,000 square feet. The value of the annual output of the factory prior to 1915 was $160,000, which by 1922 had been increased to over $500,000. Prior to 1915 also the plant was operated nine months in the year, employing 60 men, while now 200 men are employed and the plant is operated 300 days in the year. This constitutes a record of business growth that reflects high credit on the subject of this sketch, since he has been the chief factor in bringing it about. He is also the director of the Oneida National Bank and is ever ready to lend a helping hand in promoting the best interests of the city and county. Mr. MARSHALL was married March 14, 1914, at Wausau, Wis., to Katherine MANSON, daughter of John N. and Helen (STEWART) MANSON. Her father is now deceased but the mother is living and is a resident of Wausau. Mr. and Mrs. MARSHALL are the parents of four children, John, Mildred, Helen and Duane, of whom Helen and Duane are twins.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 392 (with picture),
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator