"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
McGregor Sr., Thomas proprietor of an up-to-date confectionery store at Phelps, was born at Detroit, Mich., Nov. 29, 1863, son of John and Catherine (MCCARTHY) MCGREGOR. The father, a native of Scotland, and the mother, born in Ireland, both came to America when young and were married in the East. After residing for some time in Boston they went to Canada and from there came to Detroit, Mich., near which locality they spent the remainder of their lives, the father operating a small farm and doing teaming. The latter died March 19, 1870, and the mother passed away in 1893. Thomas MCGREGOR, Sr., remained at home until he was 14 years of age and then spent about two years in farm work. In the fall if 1879 he went into the woods and from then until 1903 he followed logging and sawmill work, coming to Eagle River in 1892. In May 1906, he opened a buffet in the latter place, which he operated until it was destroyed by fire in 1910. He then worked for other business men in Eagle River for three years, and in 1914, 1915, and 1916 he worked at the Maple Grove Resort. In August 1917, he came to Phelps and has since been in business here, dealing in cigars, tobaccos, candy and ice cream. Mr. MCGREGOR was married in Eagle River, Aug. 21, 1893, to Mary SNYDER, daughter of John and Theresa SNYDER. Her parnets are now deceased. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. MCGREGOR: Francis, Thomas, Jr., Delbert A., and Margaret. Francis, Thomas, Jr., and Delbert A. all served their country during the World War. Francis enlisted in the navy after receiving an honorable discharge from the army. Thomas, Jr., who was born in Milwaukee, Sept. 5, 1896, enlisted July 3, 1917, at Camp Robinson with the 16th Field Artillery, Battery B, and after receiving training in various camps in the United States, sailed from Hoboken, May 10, 1918, landing at Brest, France, May 24, 1918. He was then stationed at Camp Besausege until July 17, when he went to the front. He was in the fierce fighting at Chateau Thierry for ten days, then at St. Mihiel for 12 days, and in the first drive in the Argonne forest, he was also in the last drive in this forest and remained there until the armistice was signed Nov. 11, 1918, having been on the front for a total of 42 days. Subsequently eight months were spent in Germany with the army of occupation, and Mr. MCGREGOR returned to the United States July 29, 1919, being discharged at Camp Grant Aug. 6, 1919. He returned to Eagle River and later operated a barber shop in Phelps for nearly a year; he is now conducting a four-chair barber shop in the Gaffany building in Eagle River. Margaret MCGREGOR is attending high school in Eagle River.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 667-668;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator