"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"

Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others. Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill. 787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.


McKenzie, Arthur now deceased, who was prominent in financial and social circles of Eagle River for over 30 years, was born at Morley, St. Lawrence County, New York, Jan. 31, 1850. He was reared and educated in New York State and came from there to Wisconsin at the age of 23 years, located first at Manawa, where he was subsequently engaged in the mercantile business for several years. From Manawa he went to Fifield, and after being interested in lumbering at the latter place for a time he removed from there to Phillips and, in partnership with a Mr. ROSSMAN, founded the First State Bank of Phillips, which he successfully conducted until coming to Eagle River in 1891. The growth of Eagle River and the expansion of the lumber industry here at that time were being seriously hampered by the lack of banking facilities. Perceiving this need, Mr. MCKENZIE came here with Fred MOREY for the express purpose of supply it, and these two men, who were ever afterward continuous business associates until Mr. MCKENZIE'S death, established the State Bank of Eagle River, which has been closely associated with the financial and industrial life of the village during all the succeeding years and today as much as ever plays a leading role. Mr. MCKENZIE was at the head of this institution until his death, and a firm and able pilot he proved himself to be. He passed away on March 6, 1921, leaving a most regrettable breach in the business and social life of the community. One of the striking characteristics remembered of him was his love for children, to each and all of whom he was a real friend; and in this characteristic the greatness of his heart is symbolized, the true nobility of character summed up in Eugene FIELD'S beautiful lines, in that he was "like the mountain pine that dares the storm that sweeps along, but rocks the winds of summer time, and sings a soothing song." Loyal to his friends--and these included all who tried, no matter how unsuccessfuly through their own weakness, to do the things which are right; of the strictest integrity in every detail of his business dealings; concerned always with the welfare of his community; a lover of nature and the red-blooded sports of the outdoors--here was a man in the real sense of the word, and one whose memory will be cherished long in the hearts of all who knew him. Mr. MCKENZIE was a charter member of Eagle River Lodge No. 248, F. & A. M., and his last rites were conducted by his brother members of this lodge. He was married at Prescott, Ontario, Canada, Sept. 5, 1889, to Margaret FLANAGAN, who was his campanion and helpmate in all the affairs of life through the succeeding years, and to whom his loss was a sad bereavement indeed. Mrs. MCKENZIE is stil a resident of Eagle River, and continues to maintain the beautiful home so long shared by herself and her husband. Besides this property she has other holdings in this locality. A lady of the finest character, self-sacrificing and unselfish, she is well qualified to bear the name of her husband brought into such high honor and carried so spotlessly through all the years of his life.

Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 398-399 (with picture), History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin; Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others 1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co

You are our    [an error occurred while processing this directive]    Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.

© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use. Individuals may copy the information for their personal use. WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator Judy Groh.