"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Morey, Fred proprietor of "The Morey," one of the most attractive summer resorts in Vilas County, or in northern Wisconsin, the development of which he began some nine or ten years ago, was born at Chippewa Falls, Wis., Sept 22, 1862. He was educated for the most part in his native place and in 1889 made his entry into business life as assistant cashier in the private bank at Phillips, Wis., which later became the state bank. In 1891 he came to Eagle River, becoming interested with A. MCKENZIE in the private bank which developed into the Bank of Eagle River and was later incorporated as the State Bank of Eagle River. For a short time Mr. MOREY was its vice president, soon, however, becoming cashier, which position he held both until and after its ownership had changed hands and it has become the First National Bank, Mr. MOREY'S connection with the institution terminating in March, 1922, when Mr. M. CEPRESS became the cashier. It was in 1913 that Mr. MOREY started the Morey Resort on Eagle Chain, between Eagle and Otter Lakes, and since then he has been engaged in improving and developing it, his efforts having met with the most gratifying results. No finer place for an inland summer resort could be conceived, for here is everything in the way of beautiful scenery, except sea or mountains, that the most ardent nature lover could desire--natural woods and groves of various kinds of trees, shrubs and flowers; beautiful lakes furnishing admirable opprotunities for canoeing and boating; and streams abounding with trout and other game fish, capable of giving the enthusiastic angler many a thrill in fooling and landing his wily prey. Rest, sport or exercise may be had here as desired and other amusements are not lacking. One of Mr. MOREY'S constructions is a beautiful and finely equipped hotel, containing a commodious ball room, assembly room, dining-hall and pool and billiard hall, with offices; while accommodations for real home life have been provided by the erection of 17 cottages, these and the hotel being served by a local electric light and water plant. All the buildings are of tasteful architecture and are well finished, the hotel being an especially beautiful structure, surrounded by magnificent pines. Hot and cold baths may be found on every floor of the main building and there is a bath house for beach bathing. The buildings have been constructed to carry out the idea of rusticity. They have large airy bedrooms, well lighted and ventilated and furnished with sanitary bedsteads, good mattresses and springs and sweet-smelling bedding. Wide verandas, well enclosed with screens, add to the out-door in-door comfort of a quiet home-like place. In each cottage there is a stove to provide during the chilly evening. The tables at the Morey are provided with the best the markets afford and with game and fish, in season, from the lakes and woods. There are 27 navigable lakes in the chain known as Eagle Waters, Otter and Eagle lakes, between which the Morey is situated, being two of the most beautiful. The highways through this Big Woods region are kept in fine condition and are excellent for driving. Near the resort is a splendid nine-hole golf course and at the hotel music is furnished during the dinners and for dancing. In short, everything has been provided to make this a place of allurement, for, to the above enumeration may be added mention of two large launches and all kinds of boats and canoes, as well as conveniences for tennis, croquet, as well as golf. The fame of the resort is wide-spread and Mr. MOREY entertains from 150 to 200 guests each season. At one time he owned 700 acres on these lakes, but has sold a quantity of that land to individuals for summer homes, having now about 200 acres. Besides his interest in this place he is a stockholder in the First National Bank and one of its directors. He served as treasurer of Eagle Lake for 28 consecutive years, and is one of the best known residents of the city, where he and his family make their winter home. Mr. MOREY was married Oct. 8, 1914, to Mae B. NEVILLE, a lady who stands high in social circles and who is one of the most popular hostesses in the lake resort region. She is a fine entertainer and is an active member of the Woman's Club of Eagle River.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 469-470 (with picture),
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator