"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Morse, Andrew H. of Section 25, town of Bradley, who is a prominent representative of the agricultural interets of Lincoln County, was born in the town of New Haven, near Big Spring, Adams County, Wis., Aug. 13, 1853. His parents were Uri and Miranda (MOREY) MORSE, natives of new York State, who came to Adams County, Wisconsin, when young; he is 1849 came to Indian land, where he bought 320 acres of wild government land, covered with hardwood timber, and was one of the first three settlers in that part of the country. He cleared the land, erected buildings and spent the rest of his life farming there, dying Oct. 25, 1913, and his wife Oct. 6, 1910. They had five children, all of whom are now living: Lyman, Andrew H., Estella, Tina, and Chauncey. Lyman is now a resident of Kilbourn City, Wis. Estella is the wife of H. A. ATCHERSON of Tomahawk. Tina is the wife of Barton PERRY of Washington, D.C., a retired army chaplain and major. Chauncey still lives on the home farm. Andrew H. MORSE was reared on the home farm in Adams County and attended school at Big Springs. At the age of 21 he left home and took a rented farm, then bought 80 acres at Big Springs, adjoining the home farm, which he carried on until 1893. He then rented out the place and went to Milwaukee, where he was engaged in teaming until the panic came on, at which time he gave up that work and instead bought standing hay from two farms, and cut and hauled it to market at Milwaukee. In 1905 Mr. MORSE went to Chicago, in which city he engaged in teaming and contract work, the latter including excavating and grading, and he remained there for 11 years. Then in 1906 he came on a sort of prospecting trip to Tomahawk, and being satisfied with agricultural prospects in Lincoln County, he bought 120 acres of wild land in Section 25, town of Bradley. Since then he has erected buildings, dug a well, and cleared land until he now has 65 acres under cultivation, and is making good progress in general farming and dairying. His farm is well equipped with modern machinery, including a tractor. He is chairman of the Lincoln County Agricultural Society and president of the Tomahawk Potato Growers' Association, served one year as chairman of the Bradley town board, and hence as a member of the county board, and for a number of years was a member of the school auditing board, all of which shows that he is a man of action and has ability that is recognized by his fellow citizens. Mr. MORSE was married at Big Springs, in the town of New Haven, Adams County, Wis., in 1875 to Ida May BROOKS, daughter of Dr. Changler E. and Helen (SPERBECK) BROOKS, her parnets, natives of New York State, having been early settlers of Adams County, Wis., but both being now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. MORSE have three children living: Frank A., a farmer in the town of King; Byron H., on the home farm; and Bertha M., who is the wife of William ROSCHE of the town of Bradley.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 667;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator