"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Oberholtzer, James, a well known and respected citizen of Eagle River, now living retired, was born in Allen County, Ind., Oct. 14, 1846, son of Henry and Anna (BICKHART) OBERHOLTZER. The parents were natives of Pennsylvania, the father belonging to the society of Friends, or Quakers. They were married in Erie County, Penn., and went to Indiana in 1845, settling in the town of Springfield, Allen County, where Henry OBERHOLTZER followed the occupations of farmer and stock drover. He died in 1861 and his wife in 1893. They had nine children, all of whom are now deceased except the subject of this sketch. James OBERHOLTZER as a boy attended school in Allen County, Ind., and also took three additional courses of study. At the age of 12 he began working on farms and was thus occupied for five years. In 1866 he went to Sand Lake, Kent County, Mich., where he operated in succession two sawmills, the first of which he lost by fire. In 1888 he came to Eagle River, Wis., taking a job as head filer for the T. J. Sheridan Lumber Co. This company sold out to the Stockwall-Allen Co., and Mr. OBERHOLTZER remained with the latter company after the transfer until the mill was finally closed down. During that period, or for a part of it, he served as justice of the peace and as county coronor. He was also for many years president of the Eagle River school board, holding that position at the time the present high school was erected in 1903. In 1905 Mr. OBERHOLTZER was appointed deputy state game warden and served in that capacity for 14 years, retiring in 1919 owing to the face that he could no longer accomplish the amount of walking necessary to perform the duties of that position efficiently. Without attaching himself to any particular church, he has been a friend to religious development and has helped to establish and build all the churches now in Eagle River. He is a charter member of the local Masonic lodge, having joined the order in Cedar Springs, Mich., in 1871. He has owned many acres of land in Oneida and Vilas counties, selling his last farm, north of Eagle River, in 1919. Aside from the Masons, his fraternal affiliations are with Canton Union, Patriotic Militant, I. O. O. F., no. 22, of Fremont, Mich. Mr. OBERHOLTZER was married June 10, 1876, at Sand Lake, Kent County, Mich., to Nellie FISHER, who was born at Peoria, Ill., daughter of Louis and Augusta (LUCUS) FISHER. The parents were natives of New York and Vermont respectively, the mother being a descendant of the Jennings family of England. They spent the greater part of their lives in Kent County, Mich., Mrs. FISHER passing away first, in 1888, and Mr. FISHER in 1912. To Mr. and Mrs. OBERHOLTZER two children have been born: Anna, now Mrs. John CLEMNER residing int he state of Idaho; and Henry H., of Eagle River, Wis. Mr. and Mrs. OBERHOLTZER spent their summer months at their cottage on Lower Bucatabin Lake.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 556-557 (with picture),
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator