"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Patterson, William E. owner of a 76-acre farm in the town of Flambeau, located on Big Bass Lake, has also got other important interests, as he is not only superintendent of the "Island Club," an association of wealthy Chicago people, who have summer quarters on Big Pine Lake in Price County, but is establishing a summer resort on his place. He was born in St. George, New Brunswick, Nov. 14, 1877, son of Alexander and Dorothy (SEELEY) PATTERSON, both of whom have now passed away. With them he moved to Fifield, Wis., when very young and there later attended the public schools. Afterwards he entered the North Wisconsin Academy at Ashland, from which he was graduated with the class of 1898. He began industrial life in the lumber and logging business in Price County, with headquarters at Fifield, under the firm name of W. E. Patterson & Co., and he has since continued in the lumber business, conducting it along with his other employments. For four yeas he was manager of the O. C. DOERING summer estate on Round Lake in Price County, It was in December, 1919, that he accepted the general management of the Island Club already mentioned. This club was established in 1895 by the late Charles H. FERRY of Chicago as his private summer home and was taken over by the gentlemen now owning it in 1916. In October, 1921, Mr. PATTERSON came to Vilas County and bought his present farm of 76 acres in the town of Flambeau, with frontage on Big Bass Lake, located in the midst of a large group of other lakes. He is removeling the building, making a clearing and developing a good farm. He is also building several cottages on Big Bass Lake and establishing a resort to be known as Patterson's Sugar Bush Camp, which he will conduct in addition to managing his other affairs. While a resident of Price County he served two years as supervisor of the town of Fifield. He is a thirty-second degree Mason and "shriner" and is a brother of the well-known lumber men of Fifield who operate extensively under the name of Patterson Bros. Lumber Co. Mr. PATTERSON was first married Dec. 15, 1901, to Florence MECK, who died October 29, 1918, leaving no children. On Dec. 20, 1919, he married Winnifred HANSON of Oshkosh, Wis., and of this union two children have been born: William E., Jr., Dec. 17, 1920, and Henry E., June 3, 1922. The family belong to the Congregational Church.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 690,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator