"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Peterman Brothers Company a prominent mercantile establishment of Merrill, has its beginning in 1894 when William F. and Albert F. PETERMAN in partnership established a grocery store where the Fowler Drug Company is now located at 914 East Main Street. The history of the company is a story of continual growth. After remaining two years at their original location they moved two doors east and added a crockery department to their grocery stock. In 1900, dry goods and shoe departments were opened. The firm suffered a heavy loss by fire in 1901, but on the second day after this occurrence they reopened for business in the room which is now occupied by their grocery department, and their expansion has gone on steadily since then. They soon took over what was formerly the express building, adjoining their place, and in this established a dry goods and general merchandise department. Their next move was to secure rooms in the Masonic building, just west of their store, and to these they removed their clothing department, opening a meat department in the space so vacated. The busienss was incorporated in 1911 with William F. PETERMAN as president, Albert F. PETERMAN vice president, and Robert J. PETERMAN secretary and treasurer, which personnel has since remained unchanged. The company's present building, a two-story brick structure at 920-924 East Main Street and 118 Poplar Street, has an 83-foot frontage on Main Street and 120 feet on Poplar; the portion of it designated as 924 East Main Street is leased to and occupied by the American State Bank. Besides their main floor space the company occupies the second story from 920 to 922 Main St. as a business office and salesroom, and the basement as a stockroom; the balance of the upper stories are fitted as offices and occupied by business and professional people. Peterman Bros. Co. also occupy the building at 918 East Main Street, maintaining their clothing department there. Theirs is one of the leading business houses of the city and, with its long and successful record, is one of the landmarks in the history of Merrill's development.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 686-687;
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator