"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Phillips, J. S. proprietor of a large garage in Woodruff, was born in Door County, Wis., Aug. 18, 1877. He came with his parents to Antigo, Wis., when he was seven years of age, and received his education in the schools there and at Bryant, in Langlade County, after which he took up telegraphy and followed that vocation for many years subsequently. In 1896 he went to Everett, Wash., where he worked in a jewelry establishment for three years, returning to Wisconsin in 1899 and entering the employ of the Chicago & Northwestern Railroad on their Ashland division. In the succeeding years he worked at nearly every station between Antigo and Ashland, and in 1905 became agent and operator at Woodruff, in which position he continued until 1914. He then gave up railroading to go into business for himself, and the decision proved to be a wise one, for he has had a marked success. He was in the garage business during the summer of 1914; in the following winter he worked for the Diamond T Motor Car Company on test distribution, going to Tampa, Fla., and in the spring of 1915 he established his present garage business permanently, erecting a small frame building to which he has since added and made improvements from year to year until he now has a two-story brick building with full basement, equipped with an individual electric plant, a pressure water system, and a full complement of machine equipment. A thermoil kerosene engine furnishes power for his lathes and other machine tools. The upper story of his building has six fine living rooms with laundry and bath. The rear of his shop is equipped as a complete blacksmith shop and woodworking establishment, and he keeps skills mechanics for each of the different departments of his business; the front part of the lower floor is set off as an office and storeroom, with a separate room for his line of auto accessories. Mr. PHILLIPS specializes in oxy-acetylene work in welding, cutting, and decarbonizing; he has two large cars with which he operates a livery services, and also has two trucks for heavy hauling. For completeness his shop is excelled by none in this portion of the country and his reputation for honest and skillful work has built up a very large patronage for him. Mr. PHILLIPS was married on May 19, 1912, to Anna LADUKE, and he and his wife have one child, Wilma, who was born Sept. 5, 1913.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 326-327,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co.
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator