"History of Lincoln, Oneida, and Vilas Counties Wisconsin"
Compiled by George O.Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others.
Printed in 1924 by H.C.Cooper. Jr. & Co., Minneapoli-Winona MN. ill.
787 pages. The first two hundred pages are history of the three
counties, the remainder of the book is biographies.
Radcliffe, William H. proprietor of the Eagle River Telephone Co., was born Nov. 2, 1879, in Bancroft, Wis., son of John and Anna (RAGAN) RADCLIFFE. He attended school in Minocqua, Oneida County, and later in Eagle River, being graduated from the high school here in 1898. After that he taught school one year in Vilas County. In the fall of 1899 he entered the agricultural department of the University of Wisconsin, where he took a short course and for a brief period after that he was engaged in farming near Eagle River. In 1902 he returned to Madison and, re-entering the University, took the dairy course. Then he operated a creamery for a year and received his certificate as a competent butter maker Nov. 1, 1903. He had to give up that work, however, on account of his health, and for four years afterwards worked for his father and brother Arthur, who were operating a livery stable and logging business. In the spring of 1908 Mr. RADCLIFFE purchased the business and appurtenances of the Eagle River Telephone Co., which was then a very small concern, having a few phones in the village and a few in nearby resorts. He has since built up the business to respectable proportions, having now over 300 phones, with offices & exchange in his residence on Main Street, Mrs. RADCLIFFE acting as bookkeeper. In 1922 he started the underground system in Eagle River and he expects to incorporate the concern in the near future. Mr. RADCLIFFE was elected in 1906 as treasurer of Vilas County and served in that office for two years, during which time his brother Arthur assisted in handling the telephone business. He was appointed sheriff in 1911 to fill the unexpired term of his father who was killed in 1911, and in 1915 and 1916 he served as clerk of the circuit court. In addition to these public activities he was a member of the light and water commission for three years, so that for a number of years past he has had a good deal to do with public affairs. In all such matters he has shown himself thoroughly efficient and dependable and is so recognized by the people of Vilas County generally. Mr. RADCLIFFE was married June 22, 1915, in Oshkosh, Wis., to Ruby B. FULLER, daughter of John C. and Edna (BLINN) FULLER, her parents being prominent residents of that city, John C. FULLER being connected with the Morgan Lumber Co. Mrs. RADCLIFFE has also been active more or less in public and social affairs. She had charge of the food pledge cards during the war, helped to organize the Red Cross here, was a member of the Vilas County Council of Defence and chairman of the Vilas County Woman's Committee. She also took a prominent part in organizing the Cemetery Association. She is a member of the Eastern Star, the Woman's Club and the Episcopal guild, while Mr. RADCLIFFE is a member of the Masonic Blue Lodge. Both are members of the Episcopal Church. One child John C. was born to them, May 26, 1919.
Transcribed by Susan Swanson, from pages 497-498,
History of Lincoln, Oneida and Vilas Counties Wisconsin;
Compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and Others
1924, H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co
You are our
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Visitor --Thanks for Stopping By.
© Copyright: All files on this website are protected by
the US Copyright Law, Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998,
they are not to be copied or altered in any way for commercial use.
Individuals may copy the information for their personal use.
WIGenWeb Oneida and Vilas County Coordinator